Looking for a Mooney

Indy

Hello

My name is Indy.  I just joined this site and I am interested in buying a Mooney.I have seen few mooney‘s on trade a plane, some of them have been in a hanger for over 10 years and not been flown. I wonder If I should invest in an airplane have been in a hanger for so long, and what kind of work it will need. From a maintenance standpoint would I need to do an overhaul the engine. Looking for some advice on this matter and also, If anybody is selling an older Mooney and I am interested please contact me the information below.

Thank you

indysingh1@aol.com

First priority is corrosion. Have a good prebuy, make sure a mechanic pulls interior panels and inspection plates to check for frame corrosion.
He can borescope the cylinders to check for corrosion. If you buy a plane with higher engine time, then you have little to lose.
I would probably plan on having the prop either overhauled or IRANed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indy, as @ArtVandelay and @steingar said, corrosion in a Mooney is one of the prime issues to avoid. Corrosion in the engine can be tens of thousands to repair/replace the engine, but corrosion on the frame or wing spar is often a death sentence for the plane.

Use the search function and look for pre-buy discussions. I believe there may also be a file in the downloads section covering item to consider during a pre-buy as well.

As others have said, buying a hangar queen is not a great option unless you're a licensed A&P with a lot of time on your hands, and looking for a project.

If you make a list of all the Mooneys of a specific model for sale, the cheapest one to own will likely be the highest priced one on the list, or at least, the one flying the most. 

On 2/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, gsxrpilot said:

If you make a list of all the Mooneys of a specific model for sale, the cheapest one to own will likely be the highest priced one on the list, or at least, the one flying the most. 

+1 

Buying a actively flown Johnson bar C model is hard to beat. Lowest maintenance, 180 horsepower= lowest fuel burn and the most durable AND least expensive engine.

Even with only 180HP at just under 2600 pounds it has a better power to weight then newer J models. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, airtim said:

+1 

Buying a actively flown Johnson bar C model is hard to beat. Lowest maintenance, 180 horsepower= lowest fuel burn and the most durable AND least expensive engine.

Even with only 180HP at just under 2600 pounds it has a better power to weight then newer J models. 

I'm 13 months into a johnson bar C model--no regrets.  1000+ lbs usable, cruises longer than my bladder holds, comfortable and fast enough.  If you post you're looking, the planes will come.     

• Like 2

@Jkeene02 and @Indy I’m interested in upgrading my E to a J. Maybe there is an opportunity for all three of us to get what we want. 

I have a 65 E with about 300hr on the engine, 3300 total time, a few speed mods, older radios with no ADSB or GPS but an STEC 30 with altitude hold. I’d be selling in the $50,000 range. 

Please let me know if you guys are interested. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 1:07 AM, Indy said:

Hello

My name is Indy.  I just joined this site and I am interested in buying a Mooney.I have seen few mooney‘s on trade a plane, some of them have been in a hanger for over 10 years and not been flown. I wonder If I should invest in an airplane have been in a hanger for so long, and what kind of work it will need. From a maintenance standpoint would I need to do an overhaul the engine. Looking for some advice on this matter and also, If anybody is selling an older Mooney and I am interested please contact me the information below.

Thank you

indysingh1@aol.com

Hi Indy,

I have a 1991 M20J, which is well maintained, always hangared, and regularly flown fully IFR equipped airplane.

Email me when you are interested in.

skyclear9@gmail.com

On 2/21/2020 at 3:07 AM, Indy said:

Hello

My name is Indy.  I just joined this site and I am interested in buying a Mooney.....

I wonder If I should invest inn airplane have been in a hanger for so long, and what kind of work it will need. From a maintenance standpoint would I need to do an overhaul the engine. Looking for some advice on this matter and also, If anybody is selling an older Mooney and I am interested please contact me the information...

@Indy, what model are you looking for?

what price range?

are you looking for an airplane that needs a few things or one that is closer to turn-key.....?

Here's a rare one that looks pretty nice. A short body with a real autopilot. The 430 is not WAAS, but swap that for an IFD440 and you'd be set.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2380002&s-type=aircraft&fbclid=IwAR3OaVAkyYzpWsU8Jc-asxXBSz-WT6l63LVSebiOfVYhlNbgTk5paGN5woM

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aviation is one of the easiest ways known to man to lose huge amounts of money in a very short time.  Airplanes make boats seem cheap!  Be very careful when considering old “hangar queens”, you are sailing in dangerous waters without benefit of map, compass or depth finder! Seek professional help, and plenty of it!