Shaw 531 cap lever washer

larryb

Today after fueling the plane the Shaw 531 fuel cap lever was very stiff on one side. I found I am missing the washer under the lever. Spruce has something, but it looks out of stock. For now, after lube, it's working OK, but of course I need to get a new washer. It looks like a standard washer with a wedge cut out. 

No idea how long it's been this way, could have been before I bought the plane. My MSC has replaced the o-rings on the cap, they should have noticed the missing washer, but... The stiffness came on suddenly, it was fine just 2 days ago.

Options of course are finding the proper Shaw part. Or measuring the washer on the good side, finding a generic replacement and cutting out the wedge. Or a used one on ebay, just for the washer, I see several. If anybody has dealt with this and has insight, I would appreciate it.

Larry

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/marshbrothers_05-22215.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7Hx3-3h5wIVbRitBh1ojgzQEAQYASABEgKuC_D_BwE

4 minutes ago, larryb said:

Today after fueling the plane the Shaw 531 fuel cap lever was very stiff on one side. I found I am missing the washer under the lever. Spruce has something, but it looks out of stock. For now, after lube, it's working OK, but of course I need to get a new washer. It looks like a standard washer with a wedge cut out. 

No idea how long it's been this way, could have been before I bought the plane. My MSC has replaced the o-rings on the cap, they should have noticed the missing washer, but... The stiffness came on suddenly, it was fine just 2 days ago.

Options of course are finding the proper Shaw part. Or measuring the washer on the good side, finding a generic replacement and cutting out the wedge. Or a used one on ebay, just for the washer, I see several. If anybody has dealt with this and has insight, I would appreciate it.

Larry

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/marshbrothers_05-22215.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7Hx3-3h5wIVbRitBh1ojgzQEAQYASABEgKuC_D_BwE

https://www.marshbrothersaviation.com/collections/aerostar/products/fuel-cap-washers

It looks like the manufacturer has them in stock:

1981784954_ScreenShot2020-02-20at11_13_15PM.thumb.png.591c7cfedf1975086cd1d1c64a966942.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.12.00 PM.png

5 hours ago, larryb said:

Larry

@larryb you’re in luck, I have one in my box of used fuel cap parts. How about $10 plus shipping? Do you need fluorosilicone fuel cap o-rings too? Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com