Mooney still a good buy?

zippymac

Only if you value speed, safety, and efficiency.  Not necessarily in that order.

I wouldn't let the factory closing influence your decision.  I've never bought a part from the factory and seriously doubt that I ever will. There are just too many parts available for less through aftermarket vendors and aircraft salvage operations.

• Like 2

I've been through a few factory closures in my 20+ years of Mooney ownership.

If anything, the airplanes are a better buy as a result, and the parts are more often than not manufactured by others.

Mooneys sell themselves.  They are very stable aircraft, highly efficient and well made.  In my opinion, they are the biggest bang for the buck in the piston single market.  They have stood the test of time over generations.  Can't say that about a lot of aircraft manufacturers.  

I fly my Mooney multiple times per week, over some of the most inhospitable terrain in the country.  My life depends on that airplane, and it delivers, thankfully.

I wouldn't let the factory being shut down serve as an impediment to acquiring a used Mooney.

I’ll respond as a non-biased Cessna owner.

You will not find a certified airplane that will provide more efficient cross country performance than a C or E model Mooney. 

The aircraft is also likely to be the most structurally sound airframe among the legacy high performance aircraft available.

My Dad owned a stock, unmodified 1964 C model that had a factory remanufactured engine, freshly overhauled prop and new paint. It was slick. I seem to remember that he calculated it’s true airspeed at 171-172 mph at high speed cruise. I also remember his surprise at how quickly the airspeed indicator moved right up into the yellow Caution Range at cruise. It was impressive.

All that from a 4 cylinder, 180 hp Lycoming burning 10 - 10.5 gph. This is something else to consider when compared to most other legacy high performance aircraft that have 6 cylinder engines in them. If you get caught with an overhaul, that 4 cylinder Lycoming should be a significantly less expensive bill for you.

Now for the negatives. Mooney was inconsistent in corrosion proofing their airframes. Typically the fuselage in the area of the tube structure was zinc chromated. The rest of the fuselage and wings was typically not corrosion proofed. Some exceptions may exist due to inconsistencies in their practices over the production run which involved various ownership and management.

The lack of corrosion proofing may render the airframe unairworthy due to corrosion, particularly in the wing spar. We have seen some owners unwilling to spend their money to make these repairs and have junked their airplanes. That is a sad outcome for everyone. You need to make sure that your Mooney is corrosion free before purchasing it. 

My only concerns about parts availability would be structural parts (like the spar) if I needed to replace one due to corrosion.

Cabin room and comfort are not considered legacy Mooney strongpoints. My impression was one of sitting low with my legs stretched out looking up over the instrument panel, somewhat akin to sitting in a bathtub and looking over the edge of the tub. This is in contrast to sitting in a more upright position. I prefer the more upright seating position but that is just me. Shoulder room is, shall we say, cozy.

If your mission is cross country flying and doing it efficiently, you would be hard pressed to find a better airplane to do it in than a M20C or M20E.

Edited by BKlott
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, Zippy!

Hey, you are in luck....   Mooneys are on sale because the plant closed!

The last plane listed for sale around here took a whole week to sell... you can find the thread... it was an old M20K, with only a handful of  recent updates...

Wait a minute....

Are you buying a brand new Mooney?

It may be harder to buy a brand new one if the plant is actually closed...

Are you sure the plant is closed?

Somebody was recently selling their new Acclaim...

They got a touch of turbine fever, and needed to move up the ladder...

Other than the full harassment for asking a goofy question...

You will find the only person that can answer the question is the person that is asking it... (that’s why it’s a goofy question)

So let’s find out about the OP...

1) Do you prefer Toyota Camrys over Corvettes?

2) Do you prefer to have your oil changed at the Toyota dealership,  or do you do that yourself?

3) Do you always buy your Toyota brand new, or is your favorite car lightly used at a deep discount?

4) Did you select the car by the engine that it had, or you don’t even know how many cylinders it has?

If you got this far, you fully realize you aren’t buying a brand new plane...

If it’s your first Mooney, it may be over 40 years old... and it hasn’t seen the factory in that long...

If not buying a brand new plane, the chances of needing the factory to be open, is pretty slim...

About me...

1) I don’t drive a Camry...

2) I have owned two Mooneys... one was a 65C.

3) Both were purchased while the the factory was either closed, or had a skeleton crew...

4) If I were buying some other brand plane at that time... those factories were closed as well...

5) One of the coolest things that supports the Mooney community... all the Mooney Service centers are independent of the Mooney factory!

6) The really cool thing... really good Mooney mechanics don’t need to be at an MSC...

7) Have no fear... if you are a self guided individual that appreciates...

• Speed
  • efficiency
  • safety

...and you want to buy a pre-owned Mooney...

• Hang out on MS...
  • Read up about Mooney ownership...
  • Go for a flight in a Mooney (don’t do this unless you are serious... tough memory to erase)

Realize that the factory isn’t what is slowing you down...

If you need to find an example of somebody that has made flying a Mooney possible... there are plenty around here...

All the Camry owners I know, don’t fly planes... :)  my apologies to Camry owners that fly Mooneys...  sub in the words Honda Accord....  :)

Figure out what you need, and go after it...

Ask more questions...

Use the search function... this way, the next goofy question you are about to ask... somebody else has done it for you...

Go Mooney! 

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well one could say the same on buying a C95 Piper Cub?

I think only airframe parts are inhouseby Mooney and there are many around (at leas in USA, I rarely see many in UK), the rest of parts is already outsourced?

To name few: engine instrumentation by Moritz, panel annunciation by InternationalAvionics and avionics are made by "Pilot Wallet"  :lol:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BKlott said:

Cabin room and comfort are not considered legacy Mooney strongpoints. My impression was one of sitting low with my legs stretched out looking up over the instrument panel, somewhat akin to sitting in a bathtub and looking over the edge of the tub. This is in contrast to sitting in a more upright position. I prefer the more upright seating position but that is just me. Shoulder room is, shall we say, cozy.

Mooney cabin width - 43.5"
Cessna 172 cabin width - 40"
Cessna 206/210 - 43"

The seating position is just like any high performance vehicle... think Porsche 911, or Corvette as opposed to the upright seating position like an F150.

• Like 5

I have owned 4 different Mooneys, including a C model, going back to 1998.  I have never had a problem obtaining any parts for maintenance or repairs.  If Mooney never built another new aircraft that would be a tremendous waste of design and manufacturing talent, but it wouldn't make me think about going to another brand. 

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Mooney cabin width - 43.5"
Cessna 172 cabin width - 40"
Cessna 206/210 - 43"

The seating position is just like any high performance vehicle... think Porsche 911, or Corvette as opposed to the upright seating position like an F150.

The MSE might have a cabin width of 43.5” but I believe the C and E model specs are 40.5 “. I think the 172 is 39”.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BKlott said:

The MSE might have a cabin width of 43.5” but I believe the C and E model specs are 40.5 “. I think the 172 is 39”.

Where do you see these numbers? They are apparently not in my Owners Manual or the Type Certificate. 

21 hours ago, PJClark said:

All of that.  Plus they're just plain sexy...nobody builds anything near as good looking

IMG_20191102_114959695~2.jpg

Personally, I think a V-Tail Bonanza is better looking. Regardless, as long as it has a funky tail, I like it :D

IMG_0530.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hank said:

Where do you see these numbers? They are apparently not in my Owners Manual or the Type Certificate. 

All-aero.com reports:

M20C Mk.21 / Aerostar Ranger
Engine: Lycoming O-360-A1D, 180 hp
Wingspan: 35 ft 0 in / 10.67 m
Length: 24 ft 1 in / 7.34 m
Cabin length: 8 ft 8 in / 2.64 m
Cabin max width: 3 ft 4.5 in / 1.04 m
Cabin max height: 3 ft 8.5 in / 1.13 m
Baggage compartment: 13.5 cu.ft / 0.38 cu.m
Empty weight: 1525 lb / 691 kg
MTOW: 2575 lb / 1168 kg
Max speed SL: 153 kt / 176 mph / 283 kph
ROC SL: 1000 fpm / 305 m/min
Service ceiling: 19,500 ft / 5743 m
Range 45min res: 1001 mi / 1610 km
Seats: 4

1978 201
Engine: Lycoming IO-360-A3B6D, 200 hp
TBO: 2000 hr
Propeller: Const. spd.
Landing gear type: Tri/Retr
Gross weight: 2740 lb
Empty weight: 1640 lb
Useful load: 1100 lb
Fuel: 64 USG
Wingspan: 35 ft
Overall length: 24 ft. 8 in
Height: 8 ft. 4 in
Wing area: 167 sq. ft
Seating capacity: 4
Cabin width: 43.5 in

Edited by BKlott
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, zippymac said:

Just a general question:

I have a friend with a really nice 65 Mooney 20c.

My questions with recent plant closings and parts hard to get when the plant is closed is this the right time to purchase?

What do other Mooney owners think...

I say buy!  I purchased a Cherokee 140 on 01-07-20, flew it back from CA. I needed to do a panel upgrade to it and that got me thinking..., why put money into a plane I knew I would sell at some point even before I bought it. So, I put the 140 up for sale last Wednesday, for way more than I paid for it, and sold it within four hours. Best part, I bought the very first airplane I ever looked at when I was serious about buying, a '68 Mooney M20C.  I've heard you're not supposed to buy the first airplane you look at, although technically I didn't, I sure was glad to see it was still available!  I'm not saying you should buy the first Mooney you look at, but seriously consider a Mooney!  Happy shopping!IMG_0206.HEIC

• Like 1

No worries- here's an example why:

Last month (Jan.) we had the annual done on our '67C.  While replacing the shock disks we were informed by the MSC doing the work that the nose gear shock tube was worn out.   With the factory closed and LASAR out of stock, I sought a used part on MooneySpace by contacting a few folks on here who trade in used parts.   A serviceable part was in my mechanic's shop in less than one week, at less than half the price of a factory new part, which was unavailable.   I'm not worried about the factory closing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Zippy hasn’t checked in since he left the question...

-a-

Yes--I thought it was a curious question considering the factory closing thread elsewhere on the board.  It was almost troll like...

Regardless, we've had good discussion on the merits and Mooney pride of ownership as a result of OPs question.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, zippymac said:

...with recent plant closings and parts hard to get when the plant is closed is this the right time to purchase?

What do other Mooney owners think...

When Zippy gets back, I have summarized all the answers for him.

Summary:

1) Yes.

2) Yes!

3) An emphatic Yes!

4) A casual yes...

5) nothing but Yes.

Airplane ownership isn’t for everyone, all of the time... at all places on the globe...

But, there are many MSers that find Mooney ownership is the right thing for them...

If it makes sense to own, then now is the time...

Expect that things can change...

Sometimes ownership becomes easier as time moves along...

Nothing better than seeing Mooney ownership still exists after retirement...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a financial genius... I can’t see the future.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

If a factory shut down wouldn't stop my buddy buying a Studebaker Avant or if I thought I couldn't get parts for my GT40, then we wouldn't buy those kinds of cars.  I never thought for a second a shut down  factory would be an issue when I bought my Mooney.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 2/21/2020 at 11:16 PM, carusoam said:

Zippy hasn’t checked in since he left the question...

-a-

Good day folks...

correct I had posted this question a while ago... 

i checked back for a bit and no response so thought maybe a said something that was taboo or posted a sensitive question. 

I have read through ALL the posts and funny things happened. All my research and looking at various planes -  Beechcraft / Piper / commanders / bellancas / kodiak husky / I find myself back to a Mooney.  
my budget is tight/ maintenance has to be pilot available and keep costs down / fuel burn well 6cyl vs 4 cyl no comparison 10 vs 12 plus. Cargo and pilot size ok so a true 4 passenger plane is a 15 gph and how often will all seats be full - will the plane be used for X-crty absolutely / will I be doing angel flights - possibly if not definite then it come back to mission - me /wife / maybe the kids(2) so if its 2 and maybe 2 more why a. 6 pack 6cyl hauler seems a waste so I am back on Mooney - also with work trying to get PPL finished has been like pulling teeth.  So that said PPL CHECKRIDE IS NOW / IFR is next so looking at some Mooneys again.  

thanks to all who post here - seems the mooney maybe a C but def- E/F/ or J model is in the target area now its just getting the finance side ready for that perfect IFR Mooney Plan   
sorry it took so long to come to my senses but there it is. 

zippy-