(Pics) New engine and panel in my 1980 M20K!

airbuspilot2436

This panel upgrade has been a long time coming! A lot of money, and even a new engine later, my panel has finally been finished and the engine is almost done being configured! Below are a couple of pictures. The current panel, the before picture, and a couple of pictures detailing the process! I hope you all enjoy the fancy new tech :) 

i79ahw572jg21.jpg.f6c8807f0a0b5d60b400da74c12284a8.jpg

The original panel, it was very nice! But I couldn't wait to get some glass in it!

IMG_9665.thumb.JPG.698c32907924251f41e07116a48f86ab.JPG

Here we can see the guts of the flight deck. It was really interesting to me as a pilot to see inside of the airplane, and learn how the electronics and avionics really worked.

IMG_0205.thumb.JPG.3291811e1519409b40cf73d5dd8dfd14.JPG

Back in the avionics shop, the avionics shown above were getting configured. 

-G500txi with integrated EIS (Engine instruments)

-Two G5 backup units

-GFC500 autopilot

-GTN750 (was then replaced by the Xi version)

-GTN650 (was also replaced with Xi)

2002802468_newpanel.thumb.jpg.04811645437c18e43a74bfec8c7dc176.jpg

IMG_1623.thumb.JPG.98c66c74d290bf02ac4f07db389cb022.JPG

Voila! The panel is done, and I also got time to rewrap my yokes because my new engine took so long to arrive! (Thanks Continental for the 6 months delay!)

IMG_8585.thumb.JPG.263a3b442d53cf427c1263c0ee444f80.JPG

Speaking of the engine... After an emergency, I had to replace it! Luckily I performed the emergency landing in Bern where the amazing technicians at Airmatec were able to take over the maintenance for me in cooperation with Avionitec for the avionics!

IMG_1401.thumb.JPG.7b3e098a6f768a11d197a51444c2d77a.JPG

IMG_8503.thumb.JPG.67cbf42ec801417f0969b2b1ce9979ad.JPG

And the shiny new engine arrived! Just a few more tweaks left and the airplane will be flying in no time!!

I'd like to say thank you to @Rmag for answering my questions last year, I don't know if you remember but you were a great help!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Airways said:

Pretty spectacular ! What was the issue with the engine ? Did you do a remanufacture or a completely new one ?

Thanks! 

I had a prop overspeed which required an engine overhaul, I decided to buy a factory remanufacture instead of keeping the engine as it was the same price. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airbuspilot2436 said:

Back in the avionics shop, the avionics shown above were getting configured. 

-G500txi with integrated EIS (Engine instruments)

-Two G5 backup units

-GFC500 autopilot

-GTN750 (was then replaced by the Xi version)

-GTN650 (was also replaced with Xi)

Your finished panel looks stunning!

Since the audio panel and transponder you had are missing from the finished panel, is it safe to assume you went with a GTX 345R and the remote Garmin audio panel?

Love Geneva - almost took a job there a few years ago and visited often in the late '90's when I was doing contract work in Zurich for Migros.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:07 AM, airbuspilot2436 said:

I'd like to say thank you to @Rmag for answering my questions last year, I don't know if you remember but you were a great help!

I remember, I think your panel is superb.  I would feel right at home flying it!  You have all I did plus even more!

On 2/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, airbuspilot2436 said:

Yes, there were plenty of pictures all over the airplane for reference.

Your new panel and avionics are very nice, the shop is doing a great job for you.

Is there any chance that next time you’re at the shop you could snap a few pictures of the airplane lift with the Breitling airplane on it behind your Mooney?

Clarence

On 2/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, Oldguy said:

Your finished panel looks stunning!

Since the audio panel and transponder you had are missing from the finished panel, is it safe to assume you went with a GTX 345R and the remote Garmin audio panel?

Love Geneva - almost took a job there a few years ago and visited often in the late '90's when I was doing contract work in Zurich for Migros.

Yeah that's correct! I decided to go remote to save panel space.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 1:02 AM, M20Doc said:

Your new panel and avionics are very nice, the shop is doing a great job for you.

Is there any chance that next time you’re at the shop you could snap a few pictures of the airplane lift with the Breitling airplane on it behind your Mooney?

Clarence

Yes will do!