Tank reseal - quality & expected life-time ...

NicoN

20 minutes ago, Emmet said:

Looks like we found at least one source for the fuel smell. 
The senders were installed mid 2017

I think one of my CiES sending units is leaking as well.   Let us know what you figure out.   IIRC the ICA says to not retighten them, which is a quandry.

@Emmet: Your gasket may be failing.

My leakage was at the bottom, below the fuel hose and even under that small flat profile. You also have fuel tracks in the back corner where the main spar is.

Looking at the picture I would suspect that the sealant failed around the domed captured nut in the tank 

allowing fuel Ito travel down the attachment screw.    Mooneys have undersize sender attachment due to the need to 

isolate the inbd sender in a resistive sender system.   So the gasket is not tight around the screw as it is in other aircraft 

so yes the gasket could have failed  but not likely  more like a sealant failure 

Edited by fuellevel
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fuellevel said:

Looking at the picture I would suspect that the sealant failed around the domed captured nut in the tank 

allowing fuel Ito travel down the attachment screw.    Mooneys have undersize sender attachment due to the need to 

isolate the inbd sender in a resistive sender system.   So the gasket is not tight around the screw as it is in other aircraft 

so yes the gasket could have failed  but not likely  more like a sealant failure 

We will look at this ... The senders have been installed just after the new reseal.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:46 PM, Airways said:

Interesting discussion here. I also have a fuel smell in the cabin after a fill up (Monroy LR tanks) and I’m based in Europe as well...

Why not flying to Paul at Weep No More? He has a quick turnaround time and the way from Europe to Willmar and back is fun. It definitely worth the trip and the quality. I did it last year. On this way you get 50 flying hours in the book and have a lot of fun. The M20K can perfectly do it.

I haven't seen anybody in Europe who does it in asimilar quality price range than Paul.

Hendrik 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flumag said:

Why not flying to Paul at Weep No More? He has a quick turnaround time and the way from Europe to Willmar and back is fun. It definitely worth the trip and the quality. I did it last year. On this way you get 50 flying hours in the book and have a lot of fun. The M20K can perfectly do it.

I haven't seen anybody in Europe who does it in asimilar quality price range than Paul.

Hendrik 

Good idea. Might do an update of the interior at the same time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Airways said:

Good idea. Might do an update of the interior at the same time. 

I did this too. There are several level of refreshment and the two things can go hand in hand. Since you would fly in the summer time you need to go on the schedule with Paul early enough. Also  Let me know if you have any specific questions like routing, transportation Wilmar to MPS etc. On the Way back you could also stop at Airventure if that is interesting to you.

Hendrik

(if you can tell me an easy way to turn the pictures in the MS  please sent  me a PM)

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

• Like 1