Fun with air bags

We just finished the replacement of a set of Amsafe inflators in an Ovation.  I thought I'd show you guys how much power these things have.

In the first video I've clamped the inflator in my bench vice and am drilling a #40 hole in it to let the gas out.  In the second video, the gas has been released and we fire the pyrotechnic.

In the third video it’s the pyrotechnic and the gas together.

Clarence

It appears to be a hybrid inflater, why did you drill the hole? You let out the high pressure charge. The igniter should set off the HE and send a shock wave down the inflater and burst the diaphragm letting the high pressure out. 

The company I work for makes production equipment for the airbag industry.  

38 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It appears to be a hybrid inflater, why did you drill the hole? You let out the high pressure charge. The igniter should set off the HE and send a shock wave down the inflater and burst the diaphragm letting the high pressure out. 

The company I work for makes production equipment for the airbag industry.  

I wanted to show deflation in a few different ways.  Drilling the hole let me deflated the cylinder to then fire the pyrotechnic, while the other one was deflated by firing the pyrotechnic.

Clarence

1 minute ago, M20Doc said:

I wanted to show deflation in a few different ways.  Drilling the hole let me deflated the cylinder to then fire the pyrotechnic, while the other one was deflated by firing the pyrotechnic.

Clarence

Oh, I see, you were trying to make it safe, not have fun with it.

The older inflaters were full of gas generating energetic. The diaphragm on the Takata inflaters was a sticker. In humid areas the glue on the sticker would fail and humidity would get in and cause the energetic to crumble (it looks like dry cat food). When the airbag fires, the deteriorated energetic would plug the exit vents and turn the inflater into a pipe bomb!    

If you block the vent on the new hybrid inflater and fire the initiator, it will not rupture.

• Like 1