Failed Yoke AD - HELP

So my '67 F has a 500 hr recurring AD to inspect the yokes.  The AD isn't due for another 80 hrs, but my IA knows I fly about 100 hrs a year, so he checked it.  Sure enough, the tapered pin on the pilot side yoke and the set screw have been over tightened and cracked the cast aluminum yoke (I'll follow up with a pic).  Anyone have a spare yoke laying around that will fit a '67 F (part number 917010-501)?  

The yoke shaft also has a depression where the set screw was over tightened and I'd replace that too if I can find one reasonably priced (not sure on the part number).  Calling @Alan Fox @SheryLoewen, @Jerry Pressley, others?

I know theres a set of yokes that arent crazy expensive that come with an Stc. They are indentical to the beech yokes. Those might be a nice option. I know one guy on here has a set of them. I cant remember the name however.

7 minutes ago, takair said:

So this is a case where the AD is likely causing more harm than good.  I wonder when the last time this AD actually found a cracked shaft that it didn’t cause?  Ironically, you don’t catch that for another 5 years...

So I went back and read the AD this afternoon, which applies to the shaft and not to the yoke itself.  So technically, I didn't fail the AD, but understandably my IA was hesitant to sign off the annual with the yoke cracked.  His words, "This would probably never break, but if it did..."

@Alan Fox I'll send you a PM.

3 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I know theres a set of yokes that arent crazy expensive that come with an Stc. They are indentical to the beech yokes. Those might be a nice option. I know one guy on here has a set of them. I cant remember the name however.

You're referring to the Cygnet yokes I believe.  When I looked into them a few years ago they required a field approval to install on a Mooney.

There may be a different AD...?

The rams horns have seen some need for replacement over the years...

They are also surrounded by a tough environment... Often warm and salty.

The FAA didn’t like powder coating for a while...

Our yokes got plastic dipped... another way that hides corrosion and cracks...

It may be possible to repair the crack... but it would cost a lot less to swap out the old yoke for a different one...

And get some Fancy leather put on them...

Find the thread where Peter did his own fancy leather yokes... they came out quite nice. :)

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Those didn't last long! (I got the seats and hope to go pick them up soon)

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I know! From listing to money in bank in less than 30 minutes...I guess I sold them too cheap...

• Like 1