Can any Circuit Breaker be replaced with a Circuit Breaker Switch?

tigers2007

I don't have an avionics master but I think this sounds like a good idea (and less complicated). Could I just have the breakers for the GTN, Lynx 9000, and SL30 just replaced with Eaton circuit breaker switches? I thought I read something here a long time ago about how regular Circuit Breakers aren't supposed to be used as switches (unless it is a switched breaker).

I would separate all the avionics C/B from the main Bus. Use one of those as an avionics switch to power all the Avionics C/B, that way you’ll have overall protection..

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield-relays/W31-X2M1G-35/PB422-ND/291049

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

I don't have an avionics master but I think this sounds like a good idea (and less complicated). Could I just have the breakers for the GTN, Lynx 9000, and SL30 just replaced with Eaton circuit breaker switches? I thought I read something here a long time ago about how regular Circuit Breakers aren't supposed to be used as switches (unless it is a switched breaker).

I'm in the same boat. Interested in the answer.

Gents,

read up on Avionics Master Circuit breakers for how they are wired...

They are wired in a way that if the circuit breaker fails, it fails closed to continue delivering power to the avionics...

Take a look at any modern Mooney wiring diagram to see how this is done...

That is the Master... after that... a CB/switch works like any other switch... it just has a CB integral in it... saving some wire and connections... a slight improvement in reliability this way...

Every circuit gets a CB for protection and the ability to turn it off...

To really improve things... if going all electric... consider wiring things with all the important stuff supplied by a ‘critical’ buss... and another buss that is less critical and can be turned off with a single Master switch...

The push pull CBs are crummy switches and risk getting broken if used often...

Something to consider... one MSer posted some nice looking modern switches that were used with ordinary CBs... the result was nice modern lighted switches to go with a bunch of independent CBs in the panel...

I like the avionics master myself... turn the radios on after engine start-up... off before engine shut-down...

PP guesses about what the question was really asking... not a mechanic... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I do believe the newer avionics are already on a separate bus. Maybe the supply wire to that bus could be wired through an appropriate circuit breaker switch. Tyco makes them up to 50 amps and in the $30 range at the Spruce. The GTN and Lynx 9000 do not have a power switch but the SL30 and KMA 24 do. So really from CB (cheap bas...) standpoint, I just need the GTN and Lynx protected and their associate breakers are easy to get to.

Panel2.jpg