Hot EGT/TIT with low CHT

Davidv

1 minute ago, alextstone said:

@Pissed_'Ole_Pete, interesting first post you made there.  Care to elaborate and also give us some background?  

was a member before I got my bravo. A lot of ex-spurts (dried up 'drips under pressure') put me off. went away for 3 years, during which I bought and flew my bravo for 300 + hours, including participation in a MAPA PPP the year after my purchase. Participated in ALL my annuals, asked a million questions on engine operation, a trusted A&P A/I who does my annuals indicated that LOP operations of a Lycoming TIO 540 AF 1B is NOT approved. Running my engine as he recommends has resulted in compressions of 5 cylinders at 79/80 and one at 78/80 for each of my annuals on my 700 + hr engine, I fly @ 70% power, getting 196-197 KCAS, burning 17.6 gph. My short flights are typicly 1.5 hrs on the hobbs, and average flights are in the 3-5 hrs range. (I fly with an Air Care Alliance Group, and I try for a mission a month). if there is anything else I can add, Just ASK.

5 minutes ago, Pissed_'Ole_Pete said:

was a member before I got my bravo. A lot of ex-spurts (dried up 'drips under pressure') put me off. went away for 3 years, during which I bought and flew my bravo for 300 + hours, including participation in a MAPA PPP the year after my purchase. Participated in ALL my annuals, asked a million questions on engine operation, a trusted A&P A/I who does my annuals indicated that LOP operations of a Lycoming TIO 540 AF 1B is NOT approved. Running my engine as he recommends has resulted in compressions of 5 cylinders at 79/80 and one at 78/80 for each of my annuals on my 700 + hr engine, I fly @ 70% power, getting 196-197 KCAS, burning 17.6 gph. My short flights are typicly 1.5 hrs on the hobbs, and average flights are in the 3-5 hrs range. (I fly with an Air Care Alliance Group, and I try for a mission a month). if there is anything else I can add, Just ASK.

My first question would be the altitude that you are getting a KCAS of 197.  Density altitude of -10,000?  I'd probably have to change out my ASI to even see that! :lol:

just poking fun, I know what you probably meant.

6 minutes ago, Davidv said:

My first question would be the altitude that you are getting a KCAS of 197.  Density altitude of -10,000?  I'd probably have to change out my ASI to even see that! :lol:

just poking fun, I know what you probably meant.

As far as LOP ops, See Lycoming part number 60297-23P.pdf . Chapter 3.

My home airport is at 5100 feet, my "second Home" is at 7300 feet, and to go many places I like, my MCA is 13000

Hey....

Long time no see POP....

Did you forget your log in credentials..?

@Pissed_'Ole_Pete

You probably would want to use this...

@Pissed'Ole-Pete

There is a method of getting your security details squared away if needed/desired...

As Far as operating your Bravo, LOP... several people have had success with it.... the Bravo’s engine doesn’t have a favorable air intake system for really good balanced air flow...  So Going fast at high levels of power reliably controlling CHTs and go ROP...

Some people get it to work pretty admirably...  They may be happy with a lower %bhp too....

We have a few threads about it.... in the Bravo section...

Just wondering... How long did your warranty last? I think Continental is about six months....

I think I got about a dozen hours in prior to the warranty running out... barely got the break-in flights out of the way...

Welcome back and best regards,

-a-