New problem with AI.

Let me try to make this as short as possible. My attitude indicator had been dying for about a year, getting noisier and noisier as the time went on. I am getting ready to finish my instrument rating so I said the attitude indicator in for overhaul because it finally started tumbling. Got the attitude indicator back and reinstalled, and flew numerous flights with it. It did great. Then the directional Gyro started to precess way too much, so we removed it and sent it off for overhaul. Got it back and reinstalled. Took the airplane out for a flight today. The directional Gyro worked great, but I found that the attitude indicator seemed to not like doing steep turns or holding turns. The attitude indicator seemed to float more than normal. I can’t really Peg it to a certain power setting, my vacuum is right between 4.5 and 5.5 where it’s always been. The directional Gyro works great. We had six eyes on the vacuum lines as we were reinstalling them, so I don’t know that that’s the problem either. Any ideas? I’m trying to get this puppy instrument worthy for my check ride it’s in a month and a half. LOL thanks for the help

• Like 1

How many G5s would you like?

Would an Aspen do?

How about a used one from that reaper guy?

Or...

Probably want to get on the phone with the shop that serviced the AI... something didn’t work out as perfectly as expected...

They should be able to service things to work as expected...

IR training is as taxing as is IR flight... so things need to work...

IBM says... you make the call!   :)   (Old IBM ad during the football season decades ago...)

Note: noisy bearings are a good warning... tumbling gyros, have gone further into the damage zone...  waiting too long can cost extra to have more things fixed...

If you want to triple check the vac lines... the gauge looks good.  You may want to check everything between the gauge and the AI to see if a fitting has let loose...

Thanks!, I thought we were going to discuss Artificial Intelligence...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

How many G5s would you like?

Would an Aspen do?

How about a used one from that reaper guy?

Or...

Probably want to get on the phone with the shop that serviced the AI... something didn’t work out as perfectly as expected...

They should be able to service things to work as expected...

IR training is as taxing as is IR flight... so things need to work...

IBM says... you make the call!   :)   (Old IBM ad during the football season decades ago...)

Note: noisy bearings are a good warning... tumbling gyros, have gone further into the damage zone...  waiting too long can cost extra to have more things fixed...

If you want to triple check the vac lines... the gauge looks good.  You may want to check everything between the gauge and the AI to see if a fitting has let loose...

Thanks!, I thought we were going to discuss Artificial Intelligence...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam "I know a guy......."  LOL I think it may be time to do the change.  There is a point where a bullet to bite isn't such a bad thing.  Be sure to check ALL fittings to include hose kinis and the filter and vent line is in good standing and properly routed.  They are usually rock solid for old things.  

• Like 1

I had both my Sigmatek 5000e and the DG overhauled by Aircraft Quality Instruments and if I recall correctly it was $1100 for both plus maybe $150 to R&R them. That is about $9000 cheaper than dual G5's or an Aspen (both linked to the legacy autopilot) or $10-13k cheaper than dual 275's. I have a Dynon D2 for when SHTF. I'm struggling to at least remain an associate member of the CB club but its difficult.

• Like 2

Troubleshoot the hoses.  Hopefully you instruments aren’t ingesting something like unfiltered air or old hose particles.   Single G5 you install with your AP is $2200 plus labor.  Sell your AI if it’s still good.  You’ll cut the cost to $1500 or so for a G5 if you’re capable of doing it.