Wandering fuel float?

toto

Just received a call from the FBO that filled my tanks - they said that "your plane had a plastic buoy that floated to the top, right onto the fuel cap."  It's not clear to me whether the float is detached, or whether the sending arm just happened to be positioned immediately under the cap.  I've had zero problems with fuel read, either on the in-wing gauges or on the panel.  

I have searched the archives for this specific question, but haven't found anything.  I suspect that the FBO is calling out of an abundance of caution, and the sender is still functioning correctly, but I'm hoping that someone familiar with these units can advise whether there is cause for concern.

I haven't seen the "buoy" myself, and I'm about two hours away from the plane, so I can't easily look at it to verify.

ETA:  Talked to the FBO again, and I clarified the comment about the buoy.  He said that it's the sender arm under the fuel cap - I'm guessing that this is the sender for the little wing gauge, and not for the panel gauge.

Edited by toto

21 minutes ago, KB4 said:

Ask them to show you exactly how the tank was filled and with what truck.  Excessive fuel pressure on our senders can end their useful life.  Nozzle should be pointed outboard away from the senders while filling. 

Interesting.  I may have to get in there with a mirror at some point to understand exactly where the sender arm normally sits.

So I drove the two hours... Turns out that they had just overfilled the tank, and the float was at the top because that's where the fuel was. Everything seems solidly attached and the fuel reading is correct. 

Apparently the fueler panicked because he thought that the float was "an ice cube," so he told his supervisor and they called me. 

Anyway, seems like no harm done. Aside from an extra gallon of fuel that spilled all over the ground when I opened the cap. 

Thanks all for your help!!

Great news. Glad they took the extra step to call you, instead of pretending they didn't see anything, that fuel guy deserves a tip. Looking outboard thru your tank you will see an aluminum piece with a few large holes in it.  Just shoot the fuel onto that, instead of sender.  

pic11.jpg

• Like 2

Great shared details, Toto!

Have no fear, there isn’t any over filling of our fuel tanks either...

Sure, you can probably get a couple of extra gallons in there...

But, nothing is going to harm the tanks or their systems...

+1 for thanking the fuel guy, for sharing his observation....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-