Audio Panel - Panel Mount vs Remote

RFriesen

54 minutes ago, RFriesen said:

I'm looking at some avionics panel changes. I have a GTN750. I would like input from fellow aviators on the pros and cons of panel mount vs remote audio panels. thanks to everyone in advance.

The audio panel and the transponder are not really accessed that frequently. They are set once and maybe never need to be reset or changed during the entire flight. I have the 750 with remote GMA35C and GTX345R. I’m extremely satisfied and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

If going all Big G... the integration and control works really well...

If you prefer a variety of vendors there is always a discussion of who makes the best devices in each category... Big G isn’t always the best box available...

What plane do you have?

Some Mooneys are a bit nose heavy compared to others... every pound moved to the back may also remove another pound of Charlie weight...

You might net a few more pounds of UL this way...

If I had an open check book... I would go all remote... and big Color screens up front!   :)

And get everything installed by a very knowledgable person...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Before you make the decision go demo the PMA450 against the Garmin at a show. Then you'll buy the 450 and be extremely happy. I interact with mine regularly to change music and mute options depending on phase of flight or if my wife wants to listen to something different than me. Having the PSE buttons and screen to do that instead of digging through menus on a GTN is far better.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Before you make the decision go demo the PMA450 against the Garmin at a show. Then you'll buy the 450 and be extremely happy.

Did this exact thing in 2018, and extremely happy may actually be an understatement!

• Like 3

Similar thread on Beechtalk. My comment is if you have room for a stand-alone audio panel and you do not want Telligence, then IMHO I can’t think of a single reason to install a remote audio panel.

Also, it is my understanding that in the event the GTN750 should go off, the audio panel failsafes to the second radio. That’s fine. But not only have you lost your nice large navigator page, you’ll have to tell the passengers “sorry, the intercom isn’t working...