Mooney Fatality, Bartow, FL.

I had a sinking feeling in my gut, but it turns out this isn't the aircraft I had in mind.  Still quite a tragedy. RIP for the deceased.  Always frustrating waiting for the authorities to figure out what happened.

Edited by steingar

2 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I think it’s safe to say fuel starvation was a factor. The tanks clearly ruptured and it was reported that there was no fuel spillage. 

If I’m looking at the map correctly it happened on what would be short final for runway 23.  Winds are out of 230 right now (not sure about the morning or if they were arriving/departing).

Wishing the best for their families...

If I’m looking at the map correctly it happened on what would be short final for runway 23.  Winds are out of 230 right now (not sure about the morning or if they were arriving/departing).
Wishing the best for their families...

23 was the active, I listen to the tower archive, but they never checked it, probably on IFR since ceilings were 2300’.

48 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

23 was the active, I listen to the tower archive, but they never checked it, probably on IFR since ceilings were 2300’.

Looks like they flying VFR since I checked the approach archive (120.65) and didn't hear them either.  Also nothing filed on Flightaware...

Edited by Davidv

This one hits hard.  I listened to the liveATC and thought I recognized the voice of the lead pilot.  Sure enough, I checked the registration and confirmed it was his plane.  After landing he called the tower and said "We are looking for a Mooney that should have been following me in."  Tower replies "Yeah, we are too." :(

29 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

This one hits hard.  I listened to the liveATC and thought I recognized the voice of the lead pilot.  Sure enough, I checked the registration and confirmed it was his plane.  After landing he called the tower and said "We are looking for a Mooney that should have been following me in."  Tower replies "Yeah, we are too." :(

Was the Mooney NORDO?

11 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Was the Mooney NORDO?

No, but when flying formation, only the lead aircraft communicates with ATC.  The Mooney can be heard twice, once when checking in on frequency and once when directed to extended trail.  Lead makes the call and everyone else responds in order "Lake 2, Lake 3, Lake 4".

No, but when flying formation, only the lead aircraft communicates with ATC.  The Mooney can be heard twice, once when checking in on frequency and once when directed to extended trail.  Lead makes the call and everyone else responds in order "Lake 2, Lake 3, Lake 4".

Thanks for the clarification, I didn’t understand what was going on.

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

Yes, one of the least expensive.

Thank you.  That adds some insight.  I bet they were light to get cheap fuel, and perhaps they pushed it a bit.  When you're low and slow you don't have a lot of time to react.  Still a horrible tragedy.  My heart's out to their community.  I know how I felt when I thought this was a friend of mine.