Aviator

Sun and Fun Airports

I am planning a trip to Sun and Fun this year.  On past trips I have used Kissimmee (KISM) and combined Sun and Fun with Orlando activities.  This year I am looking to stay closer to Lakeland and spend more time at the event.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments or recommendations for airports or hotels I would be appreciative.

Thanks

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Why not just land LAL?  I did it a few years back, didn't seem like that big a deal.  Seemed to me most of the airplanes came in the morning and left in the evening.

Other than the obvious as noted above, there's KBOW (Bartow) and KPCM (Plant City).  BOW has a little bit better service (bigger FBO) and access to services (rental car and hotels) than PCM.  Can't go wrong with either though.

William

PCM is getting busier every year. They were packed to the gills last year, and they keep upping the prices every year as well. It is very close though.

Mike Quinn the GM at Atlas Aviation over at PCM is a joy to work with and will treat you right.

FULL DISCLAIMER: Atlas aviation supports the Mooney Community by sponsoring the Mooney Summit this year. Personally, I like to support the businesses that support us. They also have the FBO at Peter OKnight KTPF

• Like 1

I’ve been into Bartow for SnF twice in recent years.  The folks at the FBO are very welcoming.  Enterprise sets up a car rental desk at the FBO for the week.   

KLAL and camp out with your plane.  :D:)

That's what I have done for the last few years.

Bring water, drinks and snacks they have enough food at the event.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PT20J said:

Anyone use ZPH?

I have used them in years past, and they were quite nice to work with.

Of course now, you could schedule a paint job with Hawk and drop it off there...

• Like 1

Even though I have a hangar at KLAL, I will probably fly into KBOW this year. They have RWY 9/27 torn up and are changing many of the taxiway exits from it. While it will be open for SNF, I imagine it will be a bit hectic with construction equipment and everything.

Not to mention the fact our house is half way between KBOW and KLAL, so my drive is the same either way.

GIF was one of the best GA experiences I’ve had. Excellent facilities. On site restaurant. Rental cars easily available. Close to both Orlando and LAL activities.  Highly recommend if you want off site. 

Winter havens a fun little town too - had a good seafood dinner there @ Harry’s old

place. 

On 2/13/2020 at 5:42 PM, PT20J said:

Anyone use ZPH?

I did maybe 5 years ago. Had a rental car ready. Easy in and out.