Sun and Fun Airports

Aviator

I am planning a trip to Sun and Fun this year.  On past trips I have used Kissimmee (KISM) and combined Sun and Fun with Orlando activities.  This year I am looking to stay closer to Lakeland and spend more time at the event.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments or recommendations for airports or hotels I would be appreciative.

Thanks

Mike Quinn the GM at Atlas Aviation over at PCM is a joy to work with and will treat you right.

FULL DISCLAIMER: Atlas aviation supports the Mooney Community by sponsoring the Mooney Summit this year. Personally, I like to support the businesses that support us. They also have the FBO at Peter OKnight KTPF

• Like 1

Even though I have a hangar at KLAL, I will probably fly into KBOW this year. They have RWY 9/27 torn up and are changing many of the taxiway exits from it. While it will be open for SNF, I imagine it will be a bit hectic with construction equipment and everything.

Not to mention the fact our house is half way between KBOW and KLAL, so my drive is the same either way.

GIF was one of the best GA experiences I’ve had. Excellent facilities. On site restaurant. Rental cars easily available. Close to both Orlando and LAL activities.  Highly recommend if you want off site. 

Winter havens a fun little town too - had a good seafood dinner there @ Harry’s old

place. 

For those considering flying into KLAL, here is the latest update on the status of the runways before, during, and after SNF:

Runway 9/27 west of Runway 5/23 will be re-opened Friday February 21, 2020 at 5:00pm to facilitate the continued rehab and strengthening of the east end of Runway 9/27. The following closures and restrictions will be in effect.
·         Runway 9/27 east of Taxiway B will be closed for construction.

·         Runway 27 will be displaced 3,499’ leaving 5,000’ available.

·         Taxiway B between Runway 9/27 and Taxiway A will be restricted to aircraft with wingspans less than 49’.

·         The south side of the airport will be NOTAM’d a non-movement area.

This phase of work is projected to be completed by Wednesday March 11, 2020.

There will be a stand-down period from March 11, 2020 to April 12, 2020 for the annual SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo. The runway will be open and available throughout the airshow.

Aircraft taxiing from the south side of the airfield to Runway 9 will be directed there via Taxiway E, Taxiway B, Taxiway D, Taxiway F and Taxiway P and should plan accordingly for the additional taxi time required.

Taxiway A4 and Taxiway A5 have been removed. Taxiway A3 has been relocated and widened. Taxiway A2 has been widened.

After the airshow Runway 9/27 will be closed once more to complete painting, grooving, and any additional punch list work as may be required. All work is scheduled to be substantially completed by May 17, 2020.

Please check NOTAMs for the most accurate closure information. 

Should you have any questions or concerns please call Airport Operations at 863-834-4911.

CURRENT PHASE CLOSURES

MsgAttachment?msgid=54108&attachno=2

• 2 weeks later...

Last year they changed the GA day parking to a new spot very close-in to the exhibits and hangars...it was a welcome change. No more taxiing forever after landing and then still having to walk a mile to get to the event. I hope they keep it that way for this year as well, but I was just at KLAL in February for the MAPA Clinic and the construction made things very confusing. I hope they have good routing for folks during the show.

• Like 1