Own a 1977 PA-28-140, Buy a M20C??

Are you 85 years young?

yes: buy your last bird first, may I suggest I nice M20E?  :)

No: You have so many years left, may I suggest you start with an M20E, while researching your next Mooney...

While researching.... How about a Long Body, or a 252?

Some background... I was researching Cherokee 140/150s when compared to an M20C...

Go Mooney! Never look back...

Once in the Mooney camp, you may consider that Piper with a turbine.... when able.

Rocket engineering has improved many aircraft...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete M said:

Pipers are earth seeking. Mooney's seek the heavens. 'Nuff said...

Well,  I’m not sure I can agree with that statement, I don’t see my self ever going back from my Comanche to a Mooney.  

Clarence

10 hours ago, mizer2167 said:

I'm planning on making the next fly-in with the FL regional Mooney group when it's nearby (KBOW, KOCF or similar) as long as the weather is VFR.

I'll be the one to ask this time.  Update your Avatar with some info.  It helps those of us on the board know where you are and who you are. Same for you @Casey020.  It helps the community be more of a community.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pete M said:

Pipers are earth seeking. Mooney's seek the heavens. 'Nuff said...

I took a plane-shopping Piper pilot flying once. On final to the displaced threshold, I pulled throttle to idle over the trees and glided in on-slope for a normal landing. I did notice his head jerking when I did that.

After we cleared the runway, he said that if he had done that in a Cherokee, wed have been in the trees. Then with eyes wide he said, "but in your plane, nothing happened!"

I had about 300 hours in a Cherokee when I got a ride in a Mooney M20C. I've owned Mooneys ever since.

@Supercop0184 showed up on the ramp in San Marcos one day in his Cherokee. I was there fueling my M20C. He was interested and I offered a quick ride in the Mooney. It was a matter of days and his Cherokee was sold and he's been flying a Mooney ever since.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hank said:

I took a plane-shopping Piper pilot flying once. On final to the displaced threshold, I pulled throttle to idle over the trees and glided in on-slope for a normal landing. I did notice his head jerking when I did that.

After we cleared the runway, he said that if he had done that in a Cherokee, wed have been in the trees. Then with eyes wide he said, "but in your plane, nothing happened!"

I used to fly an Arrow II that had the old Hershey-bar Cherokee wings, and you could drop it like the space shuttle if you had the gear and flaps out and pulled the power.   A buddy I fly with fairly frequently has a Cherokee 180 and routinely does those power-off space shuttle approaches.   It's crazy, but if you need it or plan it, it's useful, too.   I like those airplanes.   They are so simple and fun.

I think like many just starting out, I’ve gravitated to what I’ve trained in. Comfort level is there. Hard to know what you’re missing without some first hand  experience.

I do like that you can do full flap slips and basically follow the glide path of a brick tossed out the window. Not many planes can slip like a Hershey Bar wing Cherokee short of tube and fabric.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mizer2167 said:

I think like many just starting out, I’ve gravitated to what I’ve trained in. Comfort level is there. Hard to know what you’re missing without some first hand  experience.

Hmmm . . . . I went through driving lessons in a Ford LTD. Have bought and sould several cars over the decades, none were LTD, or even Ford. I went through flying lessons jn a Cessna 172, have only flown one 3 or 4 times since then. I must be an Outlier! Yeah, that's it!  :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hank said:

Hmmm . . . . I went through driving lessons in a Ford LTD. Have bought and sould several cars over the decades, none were LTD, or even Ford. I went through flying lessons jn a Cessna 172, have only flown one 3 or 4 times since then. I must be an Outlier! Yeah, that's it!  :)

I drove an LTD in a demo derby.  Tough old beast.

Mark

Mooney pilots have a force within them...

Something that drives them, and guides them... when the usual path doesn’t work...

It takes a bit of extra effort, and maybe some discomfort...

But, it is a path worth following...

• Speed
  • Efficiency
  • Safety

If these are what you are looking for... Go Mooney!

If you are happy with a Camry, or Accord, because your neighbors all have one...

Follow the crowd, Go Brand C!

You’re probably not a crowd follower if you got this far...

Ask as many questions as you can to figure out why a Mooney is the right plane...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I had about 300 hours in a Cherokee when I got a ride in a Mooney M20C. I've owned Mooneys ever since.

@Supercop0184 showed up on the ramp in San Marcos one day in his Cherokee. I was there fueling my M20C. He was interested and I offered a quick ride in the Mooney. It was a matter of days and his Cherokee was sold and he's been flying a Mooney ever since.

Definitely the truth right here!! And never looked back!!!

• Like 1