As seen at Everglades City

flyboy0681

9 minutes ago, steingar said:

Isn't Everglades City a bit of an oxymoron?  The Everglades is a big old nasty swamp.

Big myth. The Everglades is actually a river which in some parts has a strong current. The word Everglades comes from the Seminole Indian's for "River of Grass".

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Isn't Everglades City a bit of an oxymoron?  The Everglades is a big old nasty swamp.

It depends if you like the beauty of the Ghost Orchid, the delicacy of Stone crab, the outstanding Snook and redfishing, beautiful sunsets, not having to shovel snow in front of your hangar or scrap ice off your rusted out beater to go to work.

• Like 3

Just now, salty said:

I haven't flown the Mooney in to Everglades yet, it's on my short list to do though. I landed there right behind a mooney last summer, but I was flying a skycatcher.

At 2400X50 it's on my short list too (for a long body) :) 

Just now, Davidv said:

At 2400X50 it's on my short list too (for a long body) :) 

LOL Not what I meant, but appropriate. It is small, and it "feels" even smaller with how narrow it is and how close the water is.

Edited by salty

3 minutes ago, salty said:

I haven't flown the Mooney in to Everglades yet, it's on my short list to do though. I landed there right behind a mooney last summer, but I was flying a skycatcher.

At 2,400 feet you need to be on your best game, especially when landing to the northwest where the short field approach is over water the entire way to the threshold.

2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

At 2,400 feet you need to be on your best game, especially when landing to the northwest where the short field approach is over water the entire way to the threshold.

I have many landings at Cedar Key, which is wider, but not much longer. I've never needed more than half the available runway there. I've also done Umatilla a number of times, which is about the same size, but lacking the water mental hazard. But yeah, if you don't do it right, do it over....

Edited by salty

12 minutes ago, salty said:

I have many landings at Cedar Key, which is wider, but not much longer. I've never needed more than half the available runway there. I've also done Umatilla a number of times, which is about the same size, but lacking the water mental hazard. But yeah, if you don't do it right, do it over....

If you handled Cedar Key, you can handle X01. FWIW, last year when I flew in, there was a C172 parked in the trees on the side of the runway.

Forgot to post (part of) the booty.. 20 pounds of claws pack in five pounds of ice. The back seats were out for this precious cargo.
crabs.thumb.jpg.6d313af03d781f00ca60871cde543fc0.jpg

Wow. Been there a number of times on my way to or from the keys as a fuel stop ( gas is expensive in the keys). Anybody know how long the blue crab season is? Might need to make a run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk