flyboy0681

As seen at Everglades City

Recommended Posts

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

9 minutes ago, steingar said:

Isn't Everglades City a bit of an oxymoron?  The Everglades is a big old nasty swamp.

Big myth. The Everglades is actually a river which in some parts has a strong current. The word Everglades comes from the Seminole Indian's for "River of Grass".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Isn't Everglades City a bit of an oxymoron?  The Everglades is a big old nasty swamp.

It depends if you like the beauty of the Ghost Orchid, the delicacy of Stone crab, the outstanding Snook and redfishing, beautiful sunsets, not having to shovel snow in front of your hangar or scrap ice off your rusted out beater to go to work.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Big myth. The Everglades is actually a river which in some parts has a strong current. The word Everglades comes from the Seminole Indian's for "River of Grass".

Sure looked like I big 'ol nasty swamp when I flew over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steingar said:

Sure looked like I big 'ol nasty swamp when I flew over it.

I once flew over a big old nasty swamp full of snakes, ticks and other blood-sucking parasites, I was departing KDCA.

 

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, steingar said:

Sure looked like I big 'ol nasty swamp when I flew over it.

I live on the very edge of the Everglades. This spot is 1/3 of a mile from my house.

IMG_3992.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flyboy0681 said:

I live on the very edge of the Everglades. This spot is 1/3 of a mile from my house.

IMG_3992.JPG

I hope you enjoy the company of mosquitos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steingar said:

I hope you enjoy the company of mosquitos.

Also a myth, they aren't as bad as made out to be. These guys, however, are bad-assed.

IMG_3999.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Also a myth, they aren't as bad as made out to be. These guys, however, are bad-assed.

I thought the escaped Burmese pythons ate them all.  I never want to live in a place where it rains iguanas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Stein is brining that patented positivity and "fun to be around spirit" to yet another thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't flown the Mooney in to Everglades yet, it's on my short list to do though. I landed there right behind a mooney last summer, but I was flying a skycatcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, salty said:

I haven't flown the Mooney in to Everglades yet, it's on my short list to do though. I landed there right behind a mooney last summer, but I was flying a skycatcher.

At 2400X50 it's on my short list too (for a long body) :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Davidv said:

At 2400X50 it's on my short list too (for a long body) :) 

LOL Not what I meant, but appropriate. It is small, and it "feels" even smaller with how narrow it is and how close the water is.

Edited by salty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, salty said:

I haven't flown the Mooney in to Everglades yet, it's on my short list to do though. I landed there right behind a mooney last summer, but I was flying a skycatcher.

At 2,400 feet you need to be on your best game, especially when landing to the northwest where the short field approach is over water the entire way to the threshold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

At 2,400 feet you need to be on your best game, especially when landing to the northwest where the short field approach is over water the entire way to the threshold.

I have many landings at Cedar Key, which is wider, but not much longer. I've never needed more than half the available runway there. I've also done Umatilla a number of times, which is about the same size, but lacking the water mental hazard. But yeah, if you don't do it right, do it over....

Edited by salty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, salty said:

I have many landings at Cedar Key, which is wider, but not much longer. I've never needed more than half the available runway there. I've also done Umatilla a number of times, which is about the same size, but lacking the water mental hazard. But yeah, if you don't do it right, do it over....

If you handled Cedar Key, you can handle X01. FWIW, last year when I flew in, there was a C172 parked in the trees on the side of the runway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Forgot to post (part of) the booty.. 20 pounds of claws pack in five pounds of ice. The back seats were out for this precious cargo.
crabs.thumb.jpg.6d313af03d781f00ca60871cde543fc0.jpg

Wow. Been there a number of times on my way to or from the keys as a fuel stop ( gas is expensive in the keys). Anybody know how long the blue crab season is? Might need to make a run.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.