Looking at an E model

I'm looking at buying my first plane, a M20E.  I'm looking for advise from experienced owners who can help me avoid any common pit-falls.  I've heard stories about corrosion in the frames and leaking fuel tanks. 

Also, I've seen some shady pre buy inspections.  What should I be expecting in my pre buy?

I'm near Seattle, the plane is near LAX.

Thanks!

Mike

Edited by FlyByMike
Add info

I'm not an A&P and relatively new to Mooneys, but I purchased a '69 E last year as my first plane.  So far, I am very happy with the decision.  I had a prebuy inspection done near the airport where I purchased the plane and, having done quite a bit of reading, also gave the mechanic some specific items that I wanted them to check including fuel tanks/bladders, the landing gear pucks, any signs of corrosion, oil analysis, complete logbook review, etc.  It took them about 3 days and cost just under $1k.  Because I was several hundred miles away, I also had them send me pictures as they were doing the work, which they were happy to do.  Then, as a final stipulation for the purchase, I also had the owner take me for a flight in it (I also did some flying from the right seat) and used a title company to ensure all was ok on that.

What I like:  It's an absolute blast to fly!  Very fast (mine has several speed mods that I'm very glad were installed prior to my purchase).  It's MINE.  I can leave it in the hangar with my headsets and iPad in place, full of fuel, and it's ready to go whenever I want to go.  Ownership is pretty great in that regard.  Contrary to what many will say about Mooney's, the room inside isn't terrible.  In fact, I'm 6'1" and have to put my seat pretty far forward to reach the pedals.  So, lots of legroom in the front. Width-wise though, it's not as comfortable as Piper Archer / Arrow.

What I dislike: It's a 50 year old airplane and thus requires some care and attention (duh!).  I have quite a bit of cracking on the interior plastics which obviously don't affect the airworthiness, but does bug me, so I'll probably work on it at some point.  The original Mooney / Brittain AccuTrak autopilot / wing-leveler is a bit of an enigma.  Mine only has the wing-leveler portion operational and I wish the failed autopilot portion had been discovered during the pre-buy.  Sometimes, like when I'm flying in really gust winds, I like the wing leveler.  Other times, I don't like it as much and I find myself wondering whether it's the wing-leveler or my feet on the rudder causing me to be slightly off my track occasionally.  It's wonderful for single pilot IFR though.  I am patiently waiting on the TruTrak to get certified and will likely replace mine with that eventually.  

Hope that helps some.  Feel free to PM or email me if you'd like any additional thoughts on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the deal... the C, E and Fs are ~50+ years old.  They definitely won’t be perfect.  Even well cared for examples will need things fixed.  If there’s a prebuy and nothing is found, it wasn’t a good inspection.  Have an MSC or experienced Mooney mechanic look it over carefully for show stoppers like spar corrosion or maybe an engine that’s toast.  Pucks and fuel tanks can be repaired with money, so that’s just a question of purchase price and your own plans.  They will almost all have some issues with plastics and or paint.

On the plus side, they aren’t that hard to work on, efficient, fast, and they are yours.

• Thanks 1

@FlyByMike, we can be more helpful if you'll add some info to your id. Where are you based? We have MSers almost everywhere and we know some shops we can recommend to do your pre-buy.

M20Es are highly prized by those of us who are lucky enough to take care of one and many others who wish they were so lucky. 

I bought my current '66E 8 years ago with a low time engine and many mods. It was a great candidate for a forever last plane and worthy of a fresh panel and a nice paint job. 

Good luck! 

IMG_20190401_145214817_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190222_151833793.jpg

IMG_20190129_142608151.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m just on the other side of the state from you.  Job #1 for you might be finding an available and affordable hangar.  It’s a difficult task depending on what airport you plan to use.  Especially in a wet/salty climate, a hangar is the best option for the airplane to stay in good shape.

Mike,

Try to put your data in the avatar area...   it is possible you are using a phone, and these data areas are not readily visible...

This will be helpful as your questions make take a few days, and the responses can be pretty lengthy...

Welcome to the Mooney world!

Best regards,

-a-