Cowl fasteners

Joe Larussa

4 hours ago, rbridges said:

I had to reorder a few because they ended up being too short.  I think I'm using all 6 and 8 now, up from the 4 and 6 from previous.

Yeah, when I used the Skybolt's, they were 7 on the aft hole, and 5 on most of the rest, except there were two 4's.  I started out by ordering a couple 4's, 5's 6's and 7's, and then tested them out a couple at a time.  That was the part where I was taking the cowl off and on multiple times :angry:

On 2/11/2020 at 10:10 PM, milotron said:

have a look at the skybolt website. They have an alternate suggestion of using small split washer to retain the camlock loosely within the hole, but still allowing it to move and let the cowls actually come apart.

https://skybolt.com/portfolio/mooney/

They are very nice fasteners, just oversized enough to fit worn holes nicely. I bought a bunch to put on mine when it returns from minor surgery.

Here are the instruction showing use of the washers.

http://skybolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Mooney-Instructions.pdf

I have the 2000 series Skybolt fasteners on the horizontal joint between the top and lower cowling.  They fit into the original female receptacles installed by the factory in the lower cowling.  To keep the top Skybolt fasteners from falling out when you remove the top cowling, and also to keep them free so they can be pulled back to remove the top cowling, I use some nylon washers that Skybolt sells.  I do not have a part number with me, but ask Skybolt about these parts.  The are easily placed over the body of the camlock and sit between the top and lower cowling when everything is assembled.  They fit just snugly enough to keep the camlocks from falling out when the top cowling is removed.  The Skybolt star washers which fit over the camlock do not allow the camlock to remain free, and the split washers are just difficult.  

The 2000 series Skybolt camlock has a type with a large washer externally which is the one you want.  It will not be affected if the hole in the top cowling wears a bit.

John Breda