GI-275 ADI Install Cost

McMooney

A new Aspen E5 ($4395) with new ACU (sends heading data to Century $695), used EA100 (sends attitude data to Century $2k), Deklin wiring interface box ($300) is around $10.5k installed. I wonder if @TrekLawler can comment on the GI-275 AI/ADI sending attitude data to the legacy Century autopilots. Seems like the market has priced a legacy panel upgrade to EFIS with a/p interface is $10-14k. The CB club members obviously need to know the value of spending 40% more for the same user experience. I have a feeling that G will quietly reduce prices as the hype settles. If G would just allow the G5 and/or GI-275 to send attitude data to old Century's their sales would increase substantially. I'm curious if the G leadership wants to keep the legacy a/p operators drooling for the forthcoming GFC500. I sure hope not because that is a leap that probably more than half the owners would not take as its another 10 AMU's.

On the other hand, us semi-rich J owners are stuck. Want a GFC 500, don't want to buy it now but have the plane open to do some other work. Go with a G5 and still have to keep vacuum with the old King Junk. Buy a 275(or 2) rip out the vacuum while we have access and find a shop that won't charge all the money in the world and will allow some pre-work done by my A/P and I, and assume Garmin does actually make it work with the GFC 500 eventually. Go with Aspen and end up eventually with a TruTrak(if it's ever certified) or the King AeroCruze 230.... Ok, just kidding on that last one, there's no way I'm putting another King anything in my plane.

Did I read the Garmin compatibility list right:

Our Century 21 is supported but not our S-TEC 60PSS which does altitude hold.

Is there any solution to have Altitude pre-select. I know that there is a little even cheap box around which  can simulate a ALT pre-select at least for Aspens.

1 hour ago, WilliamR said:

Btw, another data point.  While not a written quote, I asked what the install time is for a 275 from Garner Lowe at FFC....40 hours for full connection as an ADI including connection to autopilot, etc. 

William

That seems more realistic than the 14 AMU quotes floating around and is head-to-head with dual G5's and an Aspen E5. On a side note, @AvionicsGeek's firm will install a Aspen E5 and TruTrak into a PA28 for 13.5 AMU's plus $550 to remove the old autopilot. That is something to think about too. I contacted a gentleman in FL via YouTube and he said he paid about 14.5 for the same setup through his dealer. So maybe it might be worth waiting to see what fireworks play out when the GFC500 and TruTrak become certified for most of the Mooney fleet.

CB Side comment: I thought I read somewhere that there was a FAA opinion that dismantling an aircraft did not require an A&P. So if an owner was to carefully "remove" their old autopilot, would such actions be appropriate? Maybe they could do it when its undergoing an annual as its already torn apart and an A&P/IA is nearby. Seems like some dealers want A TON of cash to remove legacy autopilot components.

14 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

That seems more realistic than the 14 AMU quotes floating around and is head-to-head with dual G5's and an Aspen E5. On a side note, @AvionicsGeek's firm will install a Aspen E5 and TruTrak into a PA28 for 13.5 AMU's plus $550 to remove the old autopilot. That is something to think about too. I contacted a gentleman in FL via YouTube and he said he paid about 14.5 for the same setup through his dealer. So maybe it might be worth waiting to see what fireworks play out when the GFC500 and TruTrak become certified for most of the Mooney fleet.

CB Side comment: I thought I read somewhere that there was a FAA opinion that dismantling an aircraft did not require an A&P. So if an owner was to carefully "remove" their old autopilot, would such actions be appropriate? Maybe they could do it when its undergoing an annual as its already torn apart and an A&P/IA is nearby. Seems like some dealers want A TON of cash to remove legacy autopilot components.

CB side note doesn’t fly.  You can’t mark an instrument or system inop.  Needs to be done by AP.  By definition, removal of autopilot servos involves manipulating the flight control system. That’s no go.  I’m all for PM and like the idea of hangar fairies but not for critical systems, simple as they may be.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rogerl said:

The Tweety Too story ends with 'to h*** with it'.  Yanked the kcs55a system, sent it off to Bob for 201 and 256 gyro rebuilds.  With reinstall and sign off will still be south of 5k.

Would have liked the precision of an electronic hsi, but what's that really worth to a working man?  The airplane will fly just as well with the good ol' steam, and should - maybe with another vacuum pump - last as long as this pilot needs it to.  With electronics obsolescence pace, not sure resale will be all that different either.

That's one lost sale due to what appears to be an example of "premium pricing model" added to avionics shop under capacity.  Makes me wonder whether Garmin factored the second thing in ... they're pretty good, but maybe not omniscient ...

There’s another way to look at this:

Let’s assume with your numbers that it will be around 5500$ to rebuild gyros and replace vacuum pump. Let’s now assume you take that 5500$ and put it towards the installation of a dual GI275, which is on the high end. The cost of the two GI 275 units is about 8500$ which is your net cost.
Now what did this 8500$ buy you over and above your existing system? GPSS (GDC31) will cost about 4K installed. This leaves 4500$. How much does a backup electronic AI cost. A G5 backup AI is 3500$ installed. This leaves 500$. Realistically it doesn’t because 5500$ for installation is on the high end. But even so everything else the GI275 gives you like dual ADHRS, reversion and redundancy, alt preselect, backup gps, dual battery backup, about 40 pounds weight loss, etc etc etc is worth way more than 500$!
I agree that you can save the 8500$ and the airplane will fly just fine but when comparing costs it’s not apples to apples. 

• Like 1

Shops are all extremely busy right now, a combination of a good economy and lots of people begging to get ADSB in their planes NOW. Surplus demand=higher prices, basic economics.  I am lucky, I have a great shop, Modern at FCM.  Its taking me a while to get slotted in for work though, have to be patient.