Buckeyechuck

Oil Filter on O-360 A1D

Expect some sunshine around the corner...

:)

China has been a rough place to operate from for the last year or two...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

10 hours ago, Hector said:

24a8d02b07ffaeff6cb3bef46ba1bfbe.jpg

Tight fit but after you do it a few times it’s easy and you don’t need to spill a drop of oil.

I slid my "drip catcher" under the filter, loosen it and let as much as.wants to run out and be funneled away. Then spin the filter off, drop it down so it's vertical like a half-full cup and lift it out the top. No muss, no fuss. It's tight but doable.

Putting the new filter on, there's almost an inch of free space lengthwise to line it up on the threaded post.  :lol:

Anyone have experience with Superior Millennium cylinders?  They're pretty, but the SB list for Superior looks a bit lengthy. Trying to decide; Superior new steel, factory new steel or rebuilt nitride for this O/H. Don’t fly as much as some of you.  

My motor was field overhauled in ‘96 due to the oil pump AD and they used new Superior Millennium cylinders. I logged 5.3 flight hours today and my motor is at 2241 SMOH. Hard to compare my 24 year old cylinders to what Superior will sell you today but they sure have lasted. The previous owner group always changed the oil at 25 hour intervals. I hit 28.7 with today’s cross country bonanza and decided to use the quick drain. It’s due for its annual at the end of the month and I’m going to try to squeeze out 20 or so in the next two weeks.
48390f69a480a83f7852ba1fcb71b47a.jpg

On 2/13/2020 at 10:11 AM, Hank said:

I slid my "drip catcher" under the filter, loosen it and let as much as.wants to run out and be funneled away. Then spin the filter off, drop it down so it's vertical like a half-full cup and lift it out the top. No muss, no fuss. It's tight but doable.

Putting the new filter on, there's almost an inch of free space lengthwise to line it up on the threaded post.  :lol:

Sounds like the same process I use, other than I install the 48111 long oil filter which does fit.

Clarence

40 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Sounds like the same process I use, other than I install the 48111 long oil filter which does fit.

Clarence

Didn't know I had a choice. There was a 48110 on when I bought the plane, and that's what the A&P who'd been taking care of it for several years told me to keep using. It fits, it works, there's just a fraction of if the space behind the engine on a Cherokee 180 to get it in and out, because the engine is closer to the firewall. 

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Didn't know I had a choice. There was a 48110 on when I bought the plane, and that's what the A&P who'd been taking care of it for several years told me to keep using. It fits, it works, there's just a fraction of if the space behind the engine on a Cherokee 180 to get it in and out, because the engine is closer to the firewall. 

For a few dollars more, you get almost 50% more filter area.

Clarence

Thanks everyone, decided to send the engine to Penn Yan and go with new Lycoming nitride cylinders. Props going to tiffin aire. New hoses, tubes and throttle, prop, mix, carb heat and cowl flap control cables. After redoing the panel last summer; 2 G5's, GTN650, GTX345, and GMA345, all I need is Garmin to finish certification of the AP for the short bodies. I'm pre wired. Still need to get an engine analyzer for the new engine. I'm gonna have a sweet little Mooney. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckeyechuck said:

Thanks everyone, decided to send the engine to Penn Yan and go with new Lycoming nitride cylinders. Props going to tiffin aire. New hoses, tubes and throttle, prop, mix, carb heat and cowl flap control cables. After redoing the panel last summer; 2 G5's, GTN650, GTX345, and GMA345, all I need is Garmin to finish certification of the AP for the short bodies. I'm pre wired. Still need to get an engine analyzer for the new engine. I'm gonna have a sweet little Mooney. 

Yes you are!  Perfect way to do things.

I went new Lyc cylinders many years ago and 1100 hrs ago and have not been disappointed at all.