Landing Learning session

Yetti

I happened to have the camera running for a less than stellar landing.  thought it might be good to put out there as a learning session.    You are not going to hurt my feeling because it was a sucky landing.    So ask questions and provide commentary.

Hearne Texas

2-7-2020

landing at 2:18 PM

Winds history from Weather underground

image.thumb.png.593542c7f1b7679142d88898dc9c87e0.png

Mostly a direct crosswind see the arrows on the chart above.

landing runway 18  

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

Was expecting a lot worse! Looks like you never were established on final. Looks like an acceptable landing and a terrible approach. But you waked away with no bent metal, so not all bad. Thanks for sharing. 

This weekend, at MAPA PPP, I did a greaser for my 1st landing. The instructor went on and on about how good that was. Each landing got progressively worse. :(

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PMcClure said:

Was expecting a lot worse! Looks like you never were established on final. Looks like an acceptable landing and a terrible approach. But you waked away with no bent metal, so not all bad. Thanks for sharing. 

This weekend, at MAPA PPP, I did a greaser for my 1st landing. The instructor went on and on about how good that was. Each landing got progressively worse. :(

I was number 2 behind a Citation in to Beamont yesterday and I wanted a lot of spacing.   He was straight in I was right pattern downwind.   That was a long long straight in final.

I think we all have different definitions of "established on final".   Generally I do a U turn to land just a bit longer than Power off 180.  

The Runway at Hearne is a bit different since the end of the pavement is not even close to the start of the runway.

If I had gone around and if it had been a narrower runway I would have.  I would probably have opted for putting the right wing down and doing a one wheel landing which keeps the gusts from pushing the tail around.   Right wing down seems harder than left wing down.

for getting worse, the next landing back at home base I think was a 3 wheel landing, which I don't think I have ever done in the Mooney  :-(

25 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I was number 2 behind a Citation in to Beamont yesterday and I wanted a lot of spacing.   He was straight in I was right pattern downwind.   That was a long long straight in final.

I think we all have different definitions of "established on final".   Generally I do a U turn to land just a bit longer than Power off 180.  

The Runway at Hearne is a bit different since the end of the pavement is not even close to the start of the runway.

If I had gone around and if it had been a narrower runway I would have.  I would probably have opted for putting the right wing down and doing a one wheel landing which keeps the gusts from pushing the tail around.   Right wing down seems harder than left wing down.

for getting worse, the next landing back at home base I think was a 3 wheel landing, which I don't think I have ever done in the Mooney  :-(

I usually have a longer final than this landing, but that is not what I meant. It looked like you never quite made it to center line on final and kept trying to "reach" over. Anyway, you can tell there was a lot of crosswind and you did good to bring it home. 

I'll be the optimist....you know you only need half the width of that runway now.  You put it down right on center line of the left half of the runway.  Centerline of the centerline and edge.  :) 

It mostly appears to me that you never got the approach stabilized.  You were had a sweeping turn all the way to touchdown.  You never reached the actual centerline and if you did, it wasn't far enough in advace to setup the correct crosswind compensation.  Becuase you never got lined up, you had a massive switch from a left turn to right right slip just a few feet over the runway.  With that said, not bad in a gusty, high speed crosswind.  Once you did pick a centerline, you held it and didn't let the wind blow you off of it.

That's pretty good...

I watched the video twice, I still can’t find the wind sock...

To be able to balance all the forces, and be on the center-line...

That takes a quarter mile or so of straight in dipping a wing, adjusting continuously, balancing with rudder... (with a great assumption that the wind would be steady)

It is just hard turning to the left to get on final, then balancing all that, in Such a short distance... with the co-pilot wing now down...

Hey, Power control was perfect!  :)

Was that one notch of flaps?

wait a second...

The third time through... everything is pretty stable until the last 10’...  everything starts to slide to the left...

questions...

1) Were you aware how fast the cross wind actually was... numbers or windsock (what works best for you?)

2) Did you level the wings in the last 10’ of altitude?

I’m going to watch a fourth time... :)

The GPS pop-corn trail show how difficult it was to reach the centerline...

Fifth time still looking for where they hid the windsock...

I got the benefit of reviewing it several times... none in real time...

The difference between being on the centerline and being a touch to the left...in the wingman’s spot...

The left wing dips a bit just prior to flair... setting up corrections and keeping the nose wheel centered...

yeee-ha!

Last question... did you run out of rudder pedal?  Or let-up as you got close to the ground? Or still have the rudder cross controlled helping with the sudden pull to the left...?

With all that practice working out pretty well... a go around would have produced a second fantastic landing video!

If you got it on the centerline... we could have updated the POH for max cross wind capability...   :)

Thanks for sharing this awesome video!

Got any Dynon video from inside?

I do mean to express interest in your experience... not trying to be harsh in any way...

Just interested PP thoughts only, Not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

When the crosswinds from the right  are this "sporty" I will chant out loud "right rudder, right rudder, etc." until the flare when I say "left rudder, right aileron". For any crosswind above  15 knots  I only use half-flaps. My CFI, a high time Mooney pilot, demonstrated for me at altitude how effective the ailerons are at 70 knots---not very much. Helped me to remember to really crank in that correction at the flare.  Thanks for the video. 

6 hours ago, steingar said:

If that was the OP's bad landing I'd hate to see the good ones.  I feel inadequate enough as it is.

I recall it to be pretty sporty.   I think I looked at the windsock, but can't see it in the video.   I have the in air wind direction with the Dynon, but because it is new, forgot to look over and see what it was telling me.  I don't think I was expecting it to be as sporting as it was.  The camera was on a really high frame rate, so I might be able to do slow mo on the touchdown part.  

Here is another one, that surprised me because it was basically a flat landing with all three tires touching down at the same time.  Same day an hour later, the trees are closer and I don't think the cross wind was as bad.  But you can still see me fighting to get to the centerline.  And I think I get 2 or 3 landings as there was a little skip bounce thingy in there. A bit high on approach which caused me to use all 3000 feet to slow down.   The runway is 6000, but there is a turn off at 3000.

Sunday's landing (cross wind from the other side was much better, but no video going and I got blown Way to the right and had to fly back to the left on final.

Edited by Yetti

On 2/10/2020 at 1:01 AM, carusoam said:

That's pretty good...

I watched the video twice, I still can’t find the wind sock...

To be able to balance all the forces, and be on the center-line...

That takes a quarter mile or so of straight in dipping a wing, adjusting continuously, balancing with rudder... (with a great assumption that the wind would be steady)

It is just hard turning to the left to get on final, then balancing all that, in Such a short distance... with the co-pilot wing now down...

Hey, Power control was perfect!  :)

Was that one notch of flaps?

wait a second...

The third time through... everything is pretty stable until the last 10’...  everything starts to slide to the left...

questions...

1) Were you aware how fast the cross wind actually was... numbers or windsock (what works best for you?)

2) Did you level the wings in the last 10’ of altitude?

I’m going to watch a fourth time... :)

The GPS pop-corn trail show how difficult it was to reach the centerline...

Fifth time still looking for where they hid the windsock...

I got the benefit of reviewing it several times... none in real time...

The difference between being on the centerline and being a touch to the left...in the wingman’s spot...

The left wing dips a bit just prior to flair... setting up corrections and keeping the nose wheel centered...

yeee-ha!

Last question... did you run out of rudder pedal?  Or let-up as you got close to the ground? Or still have the rudder cross controlled helping with the sudden pull to the left...?

With all that practice working out pretty well... a go around would have produced a second fantastic landing video!

If you got it on the centerline... we could have updated the POH for max cross wind capability...   :)

Thanks for sharing this awesome video!

Got any Dynon video from inside?

I do mean to express interest in your experience... not trying to be harsh in any way...

Just interested PP thoughts only, Not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Good thoughts.

No never ran out of rudder, but recall pushing alot.   Dose look like I got the right wing down a little. I think the throttle bump before the end of the concrete was what had the speed up more than probably should have been.   That's a good question if you have a second camera do you point it at the Skyview screen?  hmm

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

looks like as you were over the rwy you were using a coordinated turn to compensate for a right cross and as you settled you failed to go right aileron left rudder. May be a result of rudder interconnect that needed to be over come with a more concentrated effort. Fly down final using crab only this way you'll get an idea of the bank required to hold center line. As you're over the rwy add left rudder to align with the rwy and hold it. Dont forget to refocus on the end of the rwy otherwise you cant tell if you're straight. Just before you drop out add a tad bit more correction. It's that last part that gets people. Control surfaces lose effectiveness quickly on the drop so you have to add more at the last second and keep adding more aileron as you roll out and slow down to kill drift.

• Like 1