78 J Headliner

flybylatham

So I have a 1978 J that I would like to start replacing the interior plastic. I managed to figure out a majority of the parts I need, unfortunately I cannot figure out the aft headliner. My current headliner does not match IAW with the parts catalog for my plane and I really don't want to rebuild the overhead duct assembly. If anyone has any insight on the parts I need for the rear headliner to cover the vents for the rear seats I would greatly appreciate it. 

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

I just redid all my plastic. I couldn’t get the rear headliner, I just put the old one back up. It is in terrible shape. 

I did everything with Plane Plastics. I found the Mooney part number listed somewhere, but it was three times as much as Plane Plastics. They said they would try to make me one if I shipped it to them, but the shipping is more than the part. 

I guess I can answer your questions  :)  I have 1978 20J and I replaced headliner along with door plastic in 2017. The company that has the parts for M20J (and all other popular makes and models) is Plane Plastics. They have a catalog with pictures for all the parts you need. Apparently, they recently updated their website and whoever set up their new environment wasn't a great IT person. I am getting a certificate error while accessing the site, but if you use Edge or Chrome, you can bypass the warning (not so with Firefox). Anyways, I give you a link to the plastic parts of 1978 20J below, be ready to see "the site is unsafe" warning. If you prefer to call, their number is (866)307-5263

https://vantageassoc.com/airplane/mooney/m20/1978m20j240378thru240763.html

One thing to remember: hire a professional to do the install. Ordinary A/P won't be able to do it. It takes a lot of tweaking and playing with heat gun to massage new plastic  into the plane, for each plane is unique while the parts come off the same moldings.

• Like 1

I’ve used Plane Plastics for years when I ran a flying club and we replaced the interior in our Cessna and Piper Aircraft. I really haven’t been in a real hurry to replace this stuff in my Mooney just because I know how much of a pain it is. 

Unfortunately Plane Plastics doesn’t carry the aft headliner. Might have to purchase the aft console they sell for an F and either replace the fabric headliner the previous owner(s) installed or take vinyl paint to recolor it and restretch it a bit. Can’t really swap the headliner over to a more modern J just because I have the roof vent installed.

5 hours ago, flybylatham said:

I’ve used Plane Plastics for years when I ran a flying club and we replaced the interior in our Cessna and Piper Aircraft. I really haven’t been in a real hurry to replace this stuff in my Mooney just because I know how much of a pain it is. 

Unfortunately Plane Plastics doesn’t carry the aft headliner. Might have to purchase the aft console they sell for an F and either replace the fabric headliner the previous owner(s) installed or take vinyl paint to recolor it and restretch it a bit. Can’t really swap the headliner over to a more modern J just because I have the roof vent installed.

Not sure what aft headliner part you mean. I see aft headliner parts via this link:

https://vantageassoc.com/airplane/mooney/m20/1978m20j240378thru240763/interiordesigninstallation.html

13 minutes ago, kommers said:

Not sure what aft headliner part you mean. I see aft headliner parts via this link:

https://vantageassoc.com/airplane/mooney/m20/1978m20j240378thru240763/interiordesigninstallation.html

This photo is from a 77 J, that has the console style headliner unlike the later J’s has the tunnel style, my 78 has this earlier style because of the ventilation system. Unfortunately Plane Plastics doesn’t carry that version. 

82E452A8-4077-4F6E-AF12-B57B42CFEB33.png

This photo is from a 77 J, that has the console style headliner unlike the later J’s has the tunnel style, my 78 has this earlier style because of the ventilation system. Unfortunately Plane Plastics doesn’t carry that version. 

When I had my 78 done, my interior guy repaired any cracks and holes, including removing the ashtrays. He covered the headliner pieces with leather. Didn’t need to order any new parts with the exception of the emergency landing gear handle and trim wheel pieces.

16 hours ago, flybylatham said:

Ventilation system? You mean these huge round plastic grills? When I was replacing my headliner, I got rid of the grills as well by replacing them with bullseye vent system. Plane Plastics  didn't have anything for me to accommodate the grills either, so replacing grills with bullseyes was the only choice - and the right one because old grills were awful anyways. By the way, Plane Plastics used to have bullseye vents in stock so I bought both headliner parts and the new vents from them. I think addition of bullseyes added about  quarter of AMU to my bill, but that investment was worth the price. And for bullseye vents, Plane Plastics had all headliner parts for 1978