I-PAD II difficulty getting internal GPS to work

Anyone give me a run down on where/how to get GPS (internal to function)?  I have the EFB ap and when WI-FI is "on" at home the VFR chart in EFB will show a position and update charts when you advance.  Won't work when wi-fi is off/away from network.  I have looked in settings for GPS and have also read that "Airplane Mode must be "OFF" for GPS to work.

Can anybody help?  I would like to see how it works in the plane, but must get past this hurdle.  Thanks,

Scott

Go to settings then location services and double check that your application is turned on.

As a side note I started using another GPS and it's far superior than the standard IPad gps. Anyway hope this helps. 

Ed

Our iPad 2 has a GPS chip and it is wifi only.  The GPS sucks without cell tower assist, however.   I think in the plane its all the same.  We bought a bad elf anyways.

Quote: danb35

Maybe a dumb question, but do you have a 3G model?  The WiFi-only models don't have a GPS chip.

The GPS in the IPADs are GPS-A (assisted GPS)  they receive most of their signal from the satelites and then some signal boosted from some cell towers.You should get an external GPS for the best accuracy and reliability(gns 5870, xgps150,badelf) I recommend one of the first two...if you have any other questions regarding this or the pilot apps you can email me . Mark@oasispilotsupply.com I would be happy to help.

OK it acts strange and it finds its position with wifi on, but turning it off, it gets lost.  I did not know that.   With bad elf it locks on all the time. Thanks, Greg.

Quote: Greg_D

The GPS in my iPad is definitely not reliable or accurate enough.  With the Bad Elf connected, it's spot on in agreement with the IFR and Garmin portable, but prior to getting the Bad Elf for it, it showed me literally over a mile from actual location.  It is just a backup, but it would be a distraction I wouldn't want if IMC seeing that much disagreement between the 430 and the iPad.  I don't have any experience with the other portable GPS' you can attach to the iPad, but at about $100, I think its well worth the addition for the accuracy they bring to your iPad.

• 2 weeks later...