landing gear actuator

mschmuff

I have a '67 F model with electric gear and the AD is due to pull the Dukes actuator and clean it up.

Has anyone swapped out this for one with 40:1 gears?  I have the 20:1 now.

Any idea where to source them?  I called LASAR and they are $1500 just for the gears.

Is it possible to find a motor with the 40:1 gears instead of switching them out and just install the new actuator?

23 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

The gears are life limited so even if you found a used one you’d still need to inspect and possibly replace the gears. 

-Robert  

Life limited? How so? Maybe I missed something...there is a recurring inspection...the gears hypothetically could last forever

18 minutes ago, JimB said:

Life limited? How so? Maybe I missed something...there is a recurring inspection...the gears hypothetically could last forever

I don't think they'll ever last forever. Mine lasted about 500 hours. They're a somewhat regular replacement (if 500 hours is somewhat regular). During the AD/SB disassembly/inspection and relube of the actuator the gears are measured.

-Robert

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Don Maxwell makes a good point about the addition of the lower gear doors placing extra strain on the gear drive components.  I think that the same applies to landing gear which are not properly rigged, or properly lubricated.  The extra load will prematurely wear the components.  The other thing to consider is that the AD is based on hours, not gear extensions/retractions.  An aircraft which flies hours and hours between gear deployments and an aircraft which does lots of touch and goes may have very different wear in 100 hours.

So....keep your gear properly rigged and only fly long cross-country flights.  :lol:

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 3:37 PM, mschmuff said:

I have a '67 F model with electric gear and the AD is due to pull the Dukes actuator and clean it up.

Has anyone swapped out this for one with 40:1 gears?  I have the 20:1 now.

Any idea where to source them?  I called LASAR and they are $1500 just for the gears.

Is it possible to find a motor with the 40:1 gears instead of switching them out and just install the new actuator?

My advice is to send your actuator to them and pay the $1500 while they still have them in stock.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've posted this before, but you can get a set of gears, 20:1, from just about any actuator. I paid $165 for a pristine set and my AI had no problem with it. I call Laser and was told 5K and 4 month lead time. I am going to look at Cessna Flap actuators. I hear they are 40:1. Same gear manufacturer.

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob R said:

I've posted this before, but you can get a set of gears, 20:1, from just about any actuator. I paid $165 for a pristine set and my AI had no problem with it. I call Laser and was told 5K and 4 month lead time. I am going to look at Cessna Flap actuators. I hear they are 40:1. Same gear manufacturer.

Bob

Cessna flap actuators are 20:1 as areComanche gear actuators.

Clarence

On 2/14/2020 at 3:01 AM, Andy95W said:

I agree with Hank.  201s without wingtips are early J's. Late model J's are the MSEs.  Yours is something in between. 

In this case they started using Eaton actuators from serial #24-378, which I think is 1978. Eatons aren’t the same as Dukes or ITT.

• 2 years later...
On 4/5/2020 at 3:17 AM, Bob R said:

Bob

Dear Bob,

Can you please tell me where you get the gears?

I recently had the LG inspection on my F and he told me he does not know where to get the gears if they were failed. Fortunately they were right, but I wish to have them in house as spare for the next time.

Thank you

Andrea

7 hours ago, Ventus4 said:

Dear Bob,

Can you please tell me where you get the gears?

I recently had the LG inspection on my F and he told me he does not know where to get the gears if they were failed. Fortunately they were right, but I wish to have them in house as spare for the next time.

Thank you

Andrea

You can get them through Lasar and other Mooney dealers. Send them the whole Jack screw assembly and they will set the gears up. There is some shimming involved much line a ring and pinion in a car rear end.

Bob

@Bob R

But, those are the 40:1 gears, correct?

I'm interested in where you sourced the 20:1 gears!  I fully realize the 40:1 put less stress on things, but I figure my 20:1 gears have soldiered on for a long time...I'm perfectly happy with that lifetime with another set of 20:1s...and I like the quick extension and retraction.

I really like the $165 price, too!:D

9 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

@Bob R

But, those are the 40:1 gears, correct?

I'm interested in where you sourced the 20:1 gears!  I fully realize the 40:1 put less stress on things, but I figure my 20:1 gears have soldiered on for a long time...I'm perfectly happy with that lifetime with another set of 20:1s...and I like the quick extension and retraction.

I really like the $165 price, too!:D

I just went to a local bone yard, Faeth Air to be exact in Sacramento. Almost all flap actuators have the same 20:1 gear set in them as the Mooney actuator Jack screw. The issue will be setting them up.

While I did do this one year, I’m so happy I decided to do the gear change with the exception of robbing a bank to pay for it. The gear is so smooth and none of that abruptness.

• Thanks 1