Airport options (Miami/Orlando)

xavierde

Florida pilots, 

I'm planing on spending 4 days in Miami then 3 in Orlando at the end of February and would love to take the Mooney with me.

Any recommendations on airports I could overnight at? Since I'll be in each area for a few days, happy to drive a bit more if I can avoid prohibitively high fees.

Thank you!

Bartow (KBOW), Lakeland (KLAL) are both about 45 minutes from Orlando, and Kissimmee (KISM) is within shouting distance. I have flown into all 3. Cheap fuel ($3.66) at KBOW, and fees are relatively low. KLAL is a bit further, but has good fuel prices ($3.60), several maintenance shops (should you need anything), and moderate fees. You also can get an oxygen bottle filled for you at one of the maintenance shops on the field. KLAL also has their main runway undergoing serious rework, so 5/23 is what you will get. KISM has several FBOs (100 LL >$5.00 at all), each with their own issues (fees, staff, etc.).

Winter Haven (KGIF) would be another choice, especially if you had a couple of days to take the Jack Brown seaplane course at the seaplane base there. Similar to KLAL and KBOW, it would be a 30-45 minute commute to Orlando.

Have a friend who kept his planes at Orlando Exec (KORL) but moved them as the FBO was a bit capricious on fees and contractual agreements.

For something near Miami, I have used North Perry (KHWO) a couple of times. It is under the KMIA Class B shelf, so expect an approach and departure. Multiple runways all under 3,400'. It is a great place to be on your game, as there are antennas on one side and the Mar a Lago Presidential TFR on the other, at times. I believe there is a Mooneyspacer who flies out of there, but don't recall who it is. I usually use the Fuel Depot @ Bobby's Landing. If you go there, BE SURE to call ahead and reserve a parking spot. You will see when you get there - it is packed.

Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Bartow (KBOW), Lakeland (KLAL) are both about 45 minutes from Orlando, and Kissimmee (KISM) is within shouting distance. I have flown into all 3. Cheap fuel ($3.66) at KBOW, and fees are relatively low. KLAL is a bit further, but has good fuel prices ($3.60), several maintenance shops (should you need anything), and moderate fees. You also can get an oxygen bottle filled for you at one of the maintenance shops on the field. KLAL also has their main runway undergoing serious rework, so 5/23 is what you will get. KISM has several FBOs (100 LL >$5.00 at all), each with their own issues (fees, staff, etc.).

Winter Haven (KGIF) would be another choice, especially if you had a couple of days to take the Jack Brown seaplane course at the seaplane base there. Similar to KLAL and KBOW, it would be a 30-45 minute commute to Orlando.

Have a friend who kept his planes at Orlando Exec (KORL) but moved them as the FBO was a bit capricious on fees and contractual agreements.

For something near Miami, I have used North Perry (KHWO) a couple of times. It is under the KMIA Class B shelf, so expect an approach and departure. Multiple runways all under 3,400'. It is a great place to be on your game, as there are antennas on one side and the Mar a Lago Presidential TFR on the other, at times. I believe there is a Mooneyspacer who flies out of there, but don't recall who it is. I usually use the Fuel Depot @ Bobby's Landing. If you go there, BE SURE to call ahead and reserve a parking spot. You will see when you get there - it is packed.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This is really helpful. 

I have been planning the following thanks to that: KTTN - KMAO/KFLO to stretch my legs - KISM/X04 to leave the Mooney overnight.

For Miami, KHWO seems like a great option. KOPF is likely very expensive. Might also stop at 42J for fuel on the way back