TKS in a Bravo question...

wolftimj

• 2 weeks later...

Short answer, no good way.  I got an electric pump and pushed a flex tube down the spout once, pulled the belly pan and drained through the filter once then figured the best way is to just turn it on high while on a trip and let it drain down.  It wouldn't be too hard to put a Tee in the system and a drain through the belly pan.

As to why?  Doesn't make much sense to haul around 60 pounds of fluid all summer.  I keep just enough to work the system once a month.  Sometimes add a couple of quarts.

I have learned, the hard way, to be sure the AI pulls the belly pan, turns on the system and checks for leaks at every annual.

By the way, the company has a really good service manual that they will let you down load from a PDF file for free.

By the way, does TKS fluid ever go bad?

I havent heard of any specific shelf or storage life for kilfrost fluid(It is alcohol/glycol/water mix that has been filtered)I supposed it could evaporate if not in a sealed container.Regarding the service manual pdf...where did you download it??I do not see a place to do that on cavaero s website...kpc

I wouldn't normally despatch without half tanks or more - although I don't like carrying it around, one the basis I'm out for a couple of days, I can't be sure of the weather for the return, and climbing above the freezing level is what a turbo is about.

For shelf life, the Aerosense stuff I pick up has a 2 year life on the container, and I've had one old batch turn a tinge of brown, but it still did the job.

For a long trip I'll probably put another gallon or two in containers and place it in the baggage bay

And another one interested in the document John

Wow, that service manual got everyone's attention.  I'm sorry, but the PC on which I received and downloaded the PDF of the service manual crashed soon after.  I was having a problem with a leak in my system and had to replace some tubing and fittings.  I got a really helpful tech guy at Cav Aero who explained the nuances of the problem, told me the swedging tool I would need, and sent me the PDF file.  I printed it out, thankfully, just in case the computer crashed (it was an older PC) and didn't save it to disc.  Sorry, my bad.  Anyway, it crashed.  What I would suggest is for one of you to call the company and see if they will send you the file then you can forward it to everyone else.  It is a shame I don't remember his name, but he was SUPER helpful.  The kind of guy you always hope you get when you have a tech problem but rarely do.

FYI, the fittings on the TKS system are very unusual and require a special swedging tool for each size of fitting at about $150 each as best I recall.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

JohnG