Hanger Space South FL

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

Update - there’s a hangar available at x51 homestead for a bargain price of 700/month

Thank you for confirming that I did the right thing buying a hangar home!

527075292_SunriseoverPilotsRidge.thumb.JPG.52cb0c3743d799ac8a0241efa3a6b918.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

You aren’t afraid of the salt shaker sky?

Yeah, airlines and military that store their planes in desert climes like Mojave and Arizona will be glad to know storing them in locations next to oceans is just fine:wacko:

https://pomametals.com/salt-air-inland-distance-for-metal/

Edited by MikeOH

13 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

The hangar shortage in Florida is poor management of real estate. There’s plenty of land and building more hangars would be immediately profitable. 

The problem (at least here) is that the state, city, and county don’t want to wait for the buildings to be built to be profitable. The building of hangars here is such a convoluted mess of fees, regulations, taxes, and extortions that the many plans that have come up get scrapped because the rules and regulations are so outlandish that nobody wants to deal with them. 

• 9 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 8:18 PM, Ralph Hall said:

In the next couple on months I will be relocating to the Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood area. I’m having a hard time finding an available hanger. I understand that the hangers can be expensive in S Florida, but I can’t even find an expensive open hanger. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is get in touch with the public side of the airport management, and ask them to let you know about sublets. Also, troll the pilots lounge and or the pilot shop at the airport you’d like to find a hangar. 
most of the airports in south florida have lots of seasonal residents and their hangars are open at least half the year, some are between planes for years and sublet so they don’t lose the hangar. 
im on the west coast of south florida, and we have the same problem, I found a temporary hangar almost immediately.  
while the hangar wait list ticked away for two years I bounced around, hangar, shade hangar, tie down...  more inside than not for the majority of time. 
its imperfect, but beats the alternative of it being on the ramp. 
Being outside is hard on a plane, I walk by the tie downs a lot and all of those planes look pretty tired...

• Like 2

@Ralph HallDid you try Lynx at FXE? That's where I went when I first bought my plane since there is a little less demand (more expensive than everyone else and not in good shape). In 2019 it took me about 3 months to get one at Sheltair FXE after putting my name on the list.  HWO seems like it's much tougher for hangar space.  There's a chance I'll be moving out of mine, but I'm sure Sheltair will give it to the next person on the list (they are really strict with checking insurance, tail numbers, ect... so not able to easily sublease unfortunately).

14 minutes ago, Davidv said:

@Ralph HallDid you try Lynx at FXE? That's where I went when I first bought my plane since there is a little less demand (more expensive than everyone else and not in good shape). In 2019 it took me about 3 months to get one at Sheltair FXE after putting my name on the list.  HWO seems like it's much tougher for hangar space.  There's a chance I'll be moving out of mine, but I'm sure Sheltair will give it to the next person on the list (they are really strict with checking insurance, tail numbers, ect... so not able to easily sublease unfortunately).

How much does that cost! I heard it was more than 1300/month up there.