Hanger Space South FL

In the next couple on months I will be relocating to the Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood area. I’m having a hard time finding an available hanger. I understand that the hangers can be expensive in S Florida, but I can’t even find an expensive open hanger. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Coral Springs and bought an M20E last year.  Before I bought it, I put myself on literally every waiting list from West Palm Beach to Homestead (so, KPMP, KFXE, KBCT, etc.) LITERALLY A YEAR before I bought my plane and still couldn't get a hangar.  In fact, when I bought the plane, I was only able to find 2 tiedowns in the entire area that anyone would rent on a monthly basis and the tiedown was $350/mo.  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's just nothing available anywhere unless you're willing to go out to someplace like KPHK.  That was as of December when my wife and I moved back to the midwest.

If you're willing to settle for a tiedown at KPMP, call Dan at SheltAir  954.943.6050 x2144 and he might be willing to let you use a spot in transient parking like he did for me.  Otherwise, North Perry might have a tiedown.  Supposedly they are also looking to build some new hangars at KPMP in the next couple of years, so it might be worth seeing if you can get on a list for one of those if they aren't already spoken for.

If you're looking for any additional info on the area there, A&P's, CFI's, clubs, avionics shops, or whatever, feel free to contact me.

Best of luck!!

I have been very dishearten by my search for hanger space, while I am up in Atlanta, the story is the same here. The closest airport to me told me the last time I hanger became available was 10 years ago. A quick ride around the airport reveals a large number of hangers are being used for non-aviation storage.

The best I can recommend join a local EAA chapter or equivalent and make some friends. Then see if you can rent space from someone who has a larger hanger or find a group to go in on a larger hanger.  

24 minutes ago, 201wantabe said:

I have been very dishearten by my search for hanger space, while I am up in Atlanta, the story is the same here. The closest airport to me told me the last time I hanger became available was 10 years ago. A quick ride around the airport reveals a large number of hangers are being used for non-aviation storage.

The best I can recommend join a local EAA chapter or equivalent and make some friends. Then see if you can rent space from someone who has a larger hanger or find a group to go in on a larger hanger.  

You could get into a group hangar at Kryy. I have a T hanger there. They are very limited on the T hangars there. I don’t believe there would be much hope of getting one of those, but I am fairly certain the group hangar space is available. I believe they charge between 5- $600 for that. But that is full service with your aircraft being pulled in and out for you upon request.

17 hours ago, Ralph Hall said:

In the next couple on months I will be relocating to the Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood area. I’m having a hard time finding an available hanger. I understand that the hangers can be expensive in S Florida, but I can’t even find an expensive open hanger. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your budget? This hangar comes with a home

http://aeroclubwellington.com/homes/RX-10554476.htm

• Like 1

Not to be a smart-aleck, but I encountered the same thing in Wilmington "First in Flight" North Carolina. My solution, buy a house with a hangar in the backyard. Oh yeah, and a runway too :P

A mortgage would have been around $2,500, but given that T-hangars apparently are going for $800/month at ILM, that was a great deal--and my hangar is <much> larger. At KEDC, where we were going to retire near, I was quoted $595 for a hangar. So, pays to do it in the end. On top of that, the neighborhood is chock full of pilots!

• Like 1

There are a few mooneys at homestead(mine being one). Consider that a couple of years of savings by outside tie down vs hangar will more than cover the cost of paint. 

you could have a new color scheme every 3 years by my math. 

tie downs are reasonable. 

I got lucky when I got down here and there was hangar space available, but at 650/month I couldn’t bring myself to do it. 

Edited by chriscalandro

You’re aware that the same air that’s outside the hangar is inside the hangar correct?  

BS.
Slide your finger across any airplane that’s on the ramp anywhere. It’s the same dirt you find anywhere. 

you make it sound like Florida snows salt. 

you need to take care of your airplane anywhere it is. You’re perpetuating a false myth that all Florida airplanes are rotted.

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

You’re aware that the same air that’s outside the hangar is inside the hangar correct?  

BS.
Slide your finger across any airplane that’s on the ramp anywhere. It’s the same dirt you find anywhere. 

you need to take care of your airplane anywhere it is. You’re perpetuating a false myth that all Florida airplanes are rotted.

Ok.  Well, you do you and I'll do me.  Have a nice day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chriscalandro said:

BS.

Not quite.  Having kept an airplane on a tie down here in Florida for a long time vs. a hanger here is the difference.  Step outside in the morning, and what do you find on your car and airplane left outside?  You find dew.  That condensation results from the air cooling off during the evening, adding moisture to the skin, inside the airframe and worse, the engine.  The condensates here contain salt.  The hangar retains heat, so as a result, there is no dew or condensation.  You don't find dew on your car parked in the garage do you?  Had MAJOR corrosion AND electrical issues developing when my airplane was tied down.  No issues with airplane kept in the hangar here in Florida.  To me it is WELL worth the cost of a hangar.

Chris,  when did you move to Florida?

It appears we aren’t in agreement of all the myths available...

1) Florida planes are not dying from salt in the air...

2) Florida planes do see a lot more sunshine than NJ planes...

3) Excess UV light is tough on paint...

4) Excess heat is tough on everything...

5) Excess humidity is tough on many things...

6) Hurricanes are bad...

7) There are no perfect places to keep a plane... that’s why we have planes... to fly to more perfect places...:)

8) I really like the logic of price of hangar rent vs. paint... great for a working plane...

9) Hangars are better for forever-planes...

10) Cars and garages have the same arguments...

Essentially sunshine and weather are tough on machines... the whole machine, inside and out...

it is not possible to refresh a machine by slapping paint on it... no matter how skilled the painter is.

PP thoughts only, not a machine expert...

Best regards,

-a-

I agree with you on all those points. 

but to say Florida dew is salt water... is laughable clearly the above posters are not familiar with survival methods or how rain and condensation work. 

now, if we want to discuss heat and UV that is a very different conversation. (A good cover is crucial for protecting glass and interior)

but dew occurs everywhere. Including non insulated and non climate controlled hangars. 

Corrosion issues are preventable with Preventative maintenance, routine inspections, and corrosion X

Edited by chriscalandro

Consider when somebody doesn’t know something...

They lack knowledge, misunderstand something, or really have a problem with salt...

We can...

1) bring them up to speed

2) explain some details

3) understand their unique challenge

Or crush the conversation with insults, have people leave, and generally degrade the MS environment...

It may take some extra effort to recognize and leave out the negativity...

It is better for everybody.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm sure the OP, who is new to this site, is just thrilled by this topic creep.

He's a little abrasive, but it's not nice to call Chris a "topic creep".  We're trying to make this site inclusive and congenial.

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andy95W said:

He's a little abrasive, but it's not nice to call Chris a "topic creep".  We're trying to make this site inclusive and congenial.

:P

I didn’t understand the comment. If I did, odds are I probably would have created a sentence using the word “dingus” though...

point is, 

OP isn’t going to find a hangar. If he does it probably doesn’t make financial sense to pay for it (depending on the airplane), and contrary to popular belief (which I saw coming a mile away) it doesn’t rain or condensate salt water in Florida....

do your preventative maintenance, get a decent cover, and you will be just fine. 

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Haha 1