WTB: Electronics International CGR-30C Engine Monitor

The CGR 30P is certified replacement for stock gauges. I don’t believe the C is. These gauges are also “tailored” for specific aircraft, meaning when does the yellow or red arc begin. Unless your donor aircraft is the same, probably not a good choice. I think your only source will be junk yards.

The CGR-30C is indeed certified for primary gauge replacement.  The difference between the CGR-30P and CGR-30C is that the CGR-30P is a full engine monitor and fuel totalizer which can replace five primary functions in addition to the always included RPM, EGT and CHT.  Five non-primary functions are also included.  Primary functions are defined as those that are required by the manufacture with specified redlines/limts.

The CGR-30C can legally replace up to 16 primary instruments on a single 3-1/8" display.  If a full system can be sourced on the used market, we can reconfigure it for a different aircraft.  The fee for this service is $695.00, plus whatever additional hardware may be required.  

Edited by oregon87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PTK said:

The GI275 is brand new technology. Cost is very comparable to older CGR.

The CGR-30C can be purchased new from most of the larger dealers for $2648.00.  The GI 275 EIS starts at $4895.00.  Please see below for an example:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/display10-05754-9.php?clickkey=811070

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/garmin_gi275eis.php?clickkey=6652784

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure exactly what all you are trying to do with the CGR-30C but you are correct that it can replace almost all your gauges.  What it will not do is be an engine monitor in the traditional sense displaying the EGT and CHT of all cylinders full time in something like a bar graph format.  From what I see with the 30C you will get a single CHT and EGT just like the current instumentation you have.

Additionally, those units are special order.  When you buy a new one you have to specify exactly what items you want displayed and the limits that you need for your specific aircraft and engine.  Having said that, I am willing to bet there is a process for sending the unit back to EI for re-programming.

I am not an avionics expert, just giving you a few things to think about before jumping in.

EDIT:  I should have paid closer attention to what Oregon87 said a few posts above.  He laid out the differences of the 30P vs 30C and states that a used instrument can be reconfigured for your aircraft for a $695 fee.

Note the details provided by Oregon above...

He has a position inside EI, and is capable of giving qualified advice...

If he doesn’t have the answer, he can get it... :)

From the links above... the traditional engine monitor displayed on one page...

When buying... do the homework to know what variables are considered primary for the various monitors...from various suppliers...

Some monitors have a few primary, and some that are not considered primary...  don’t get surprised...

Best regards,

-a-

This one is the CGR-30P  “premium package” version...

You may need two devices to do all the things you may want.

... Or go all in and get the big screen...

Did we sway the OP’s opinion to go all in?   

Or go used, get it updated, Oregon can help guide you through the process... :)

D4A549AB-33DF-48D0-9E56-A1EC507A0D99.jpeg

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Note the details provided by Oregon above...

He has a position inside EI, and is capable of giving qualified advice...

If he doesn’t have the answer, he can get it... :)

From the links above... the traditional engine monitor displayed on one page...

When buying... do the homework to know what variables are considered primary for the various monitors...from various suppliers...

Some monitors have a few primary, and some that are not considered primary...  don’t get surprised...

Best regards,

-a-

D4A549AB-33DF-48D0-9E56-A1EC507A0D99.jpeg

The 30P does have the capabilty to show a traditional engine monitor, the 30C does not.  Think of the 30C as a cluster gauge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

@oregon87,

What ever happened to the picture of EI instruments in a Mooney panel project?

I barely remember something about that...?

Best regards,

-a-

We'd still like to work with Mooney owners if they would like to participate.  I will discuss details with management and create a new post as to avoid threadjacking the OP.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 7:41 PM, RFriesen said:

Looks to be quite pricey compared to the 30C or am I wrong?

On Aircraft Spruce website it’s $4678.00 and includes the GEA24 and all sensors and the sensors are compatible according to Garmin. It has bt and wifi to display in garmin pilot. It also has automatic data logging. When you compare  apples to apples the cost and what EI or JPI give you in some detail you may find the brand new and fully TSO’d GI 275 EIS to be a bargain.

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/gi-275-eis

Also if the GI275 EIS is advisory and not primary it can be configured to be an MFD, a CDI, a traffic display, in addition to an EIS. This is a big advantage and very useful.

On 2/6/2020 at 3:23 PM, oregon87 said:

The CGR-30C can be purchased new from most of the larger dealers for $2648.00.  The GI 275 EIS starts at $4895.00. 

The CGR-30P is just shy of 4K. The GI275 including ff, sensors, bt and wifi is only about 700$ more. If I was in the market for a primary engine monitor I would only consider JPI or EI if the delta was at least double that.