M20E Avionics Upgrade Project

44 minutes ago, tmo said:

FWIW you're gonna love the new audio panel...

It sure does look way better than the old WW1 switches I got now. Number one reason for me is music, we love listening to music and calms everybody down and my old input was horrible plus eliminates the intercom too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spleecho said:

Oh well if that's the case I should have been done weeks ago!!

If it’s not too late you might consider having the installer fit plate nuts to the panel substructure to make installation and future removal of the panel much easier.

Clarence

13 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If it’s not too late you might consider having the installer fit plate nuts to the panel substructure to make installation and future removal of the panel much easier.

Clarence

The way we were doing the install is with rubber shock mounts which are straight thru the panel and then nut. That's the only option I saw using the shock mounts.

shock.png

Just now, 67 m20F chump said:

What’s with all the gold boxes?  Where is that going to mount?

It's gold to remind you how much money you dumped into it! :)

These are E.I. modules included with the MVP-50P that take analog inputs and send them to the engine data module. 3 boxes, 1 for Altitude, 1 for Manifold and 1 for Vacuum lo/hi. Will be mounted on a bracket behind the instrument panel, that's why they on their own custom mounting tray.

3 hours ago, spleecho said:

Hmmmm...depends on the rest of the crew:) Either indie or something chillax...what about you?

Unfortunately...  no music in my cockpit...

Every time I hear an aviation/flying reference in a song I think of collecting the various MP3s for inflight entertainment... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I’m doing a 30p+c and it uses the same gold boxes.  I removed the vac pump and it doesn’t have input for altitude so I didn’t recognize what you had that was different.  I mounted stuff where I could but I like what your doing.  You will have a clean wire run when finished.  I mounted things on the side of the plane by the vent inlets.  

looking good so keep at it!

14 hours ago, spleecho said:

The way we were doing the install is with rubber shock mounts which are straight thru the panel and then nut. That's the only option I saw using the shock mounts.

shock.png

I was able to find some non metric 1/4-20 ones that use a bevel head machine screw on the panel side in the aviation department at Amazon.   Still working on a lower profile bevel head machine screw.  The phillips ones are pretty high.   I think the slotted are a bit less high.  Going metric might get you smaller sizes.  The main panel uses 1/4 turn lord mounts.   Which is something like this. which take up alot of space.   https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/lordenginemountscessna_07-01118.php?clickkey=6151

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Vibration-Isolator-Mounts-Length/dp/B079DX7Y1T/ref=pd_sim_328_1/134-5766181-3784120?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079DX7Y1T&pd_rd_r=2a7ebe28-86b0-4c1e-bdd2-a5c36bfa1799&pd_rd_w=OX6Bl&pd_rd_wg=2EoPE&pf_rd_p=65e3eab0-d81f-4a76-93ff-f0b7b1d6cd3d&pf_rd_r=W5YR06XR06ARRXXABWEZ&psc=1&refRID=W5YR06XR06ARRXXABWEZ

Edited by Yetti

I don't now if you've already sourced your new ducting but I was very happy with upgrading to SCEET ducts (vs SCAT). Mine were in similar shape as yours. I wound up doing everything aft of the firewall as I had things apart for interior and fuel leak clean up work.... now I have defrost! Now I have rear foot airflow! The big duct from air scoop to mixer box also had holes. Do them all, its relatively cheap.

Also thank you for sharing your files for the CNC. I am also looking down the road at a new right hand panel if I remove the original engine instruments and its great to potentially have a head start.

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 1

Just now, carusoam said:

Days til completion?

No longer weeks...

:)

-a-

I set aside entire February for everything to be completed. We were ahead of schedule but I added install of audio panel.  Rest of annual has to be done and some sealing of tanks so I still think last day of Feb. 

• Like 1

Just now, TexMooney said:

I’m jealous I miss my 64 Super 21 and I never dreamed of a panel like that! By any chance are you looking to sell any of the things you pulled out? 

Yea this plane is a keeper for me so all the upgrades little by little. Yes would like to sell all of the stuff pulled out. 

I have a 69 C that I bought minus firewall forward and quite a bit more (or less). Let me look over your pics and see what might be of use. Thank you.

Old stuff pulled out, I have an almost brand new Garmin 327 transponder with bracket and harness and brand new Garmin SL30 nav com radio too. 

4C19B4F3-568C-40E7-BEFB-4DBC44A8D60E.jpeg

F6CE9356-CB6C-41C7-80E8-B989D0B54760.jpeg

5766F436-5694-43E9-9B77-F25650FD5432.jpeg

439594EC-3974-44C7-A7DA-419F6F200626.jpeg

Gotta say your a brave man to tackle a job that big not to mention the down time losing use of your plane. 

It’s either spend twice the money on Mooney you want or save up and put in the work. Been saving up and planning since June last year and already got next two projects in planning stage for next year. If you plan and prepare it hurts less when you aren’t flying. 

You can see how sparse my panel is. KX170B and KI208 are not even hooked up (no harness yet). And no I haven’t flown it yet. Close after one year of work but not there yet. I had no idea how much damage he did robbing all sorts of small and not so small things to put on his RV he’s building. I’m going to lose money on this but I have a thing for saving planes that are destined for the scrapper.

781D82FA-DDA1-4B28-AB54-BB5668C2CAA3.jpeg