M20E Avionics Upgrade Project

4 hours ago, spleecho said:

Your cat scan is correct except I don’t have that on mine

FF903D99-3419-4BD9-AD7B-3AF59CEF8C3E.jpeg

I think that was Rod’s point, yours is missing.  I would also remove all of the tywraps from the fuel injection lines, they can damage them.  The AD and SB say the lines shouldn’t touch airframe parts, so nothing should be tied to them in my read of it.

Clarence

On 3/8/2020 at 4:23 AM, M20Doc said:

I think that was Rod’s point, yours is missing.  I would also remove all of the tywraps from the fuel injection lines, they can damage them.  The AD and SB say the lines shouldn’t touch airframe parts, so nothing should be tied to them in my read of it.

Clarence

I looked at the other Mooney and their doghouse looks different than mine, I think somebody in the past has re-made the entire doghouse thus it being mounted different. As far as the tie wraps I am 50-50 on it, it's extremely low weight item but if it's an issue I could take them off, just didn't want the wire flopping around. Hoping for it to be all done this week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spleecho said:

As far as the tie wraps I am 50-50 on it, it's extremely low weight item but if it's an issue I could take them off, just didn't want the wire flopping around.

It's not the weight, it's the contact.  In my opinion, tie wraps shouldn't be used anywhere on aircraft wiring, but that's my opinion.  For military applications, tie wraps are almost never used becuase they create a wear point on the wire.  Where they are unsed, they have to have a very specific reason and be explicitly called out in the wiring manuals.  (or at least thats how it was when I worked on F-18s)  Spot ties (a waxed nylon lashing) are used instead.  It is much gentler on the wire.  In your case, you have it tied to the fuel lines.  Imaging the chaffing eating the fuel line.....now you have an unconrolled fuel leak on the engine.  I agree the wire should be secured so it can't move to prevent damage, but I would look for another way to do it.

43 minutes ago, bob865 said:

It's not the weight, it's the contact.  In my opinion, tie wraps shouldn't be used anywhere on aircraft wiring, but that's my opinion.  For military applications, tie wraps are almost never used becuase they create a wear point on the wire.  Where they are unsed, they have to have a very specific reason and be explicitly called out in the wiring manuals.  (or at least thats how it was when I worked on F-18s)  Spot ties (a waxed nylon lashing) are used instead.  It is much gentler on the wire.  In your case, you have it tied to the fuel lines.  Imaging the chaffing eating the fuel line.....now you have an unconrolled fuel leak on the engine.  I agree the wire should be secured so it can't move to prevent damage, but I would look for another way to do it.

Interesting.   Ty-Raps were originally invented for aircraft wiring and still get used for that a lot.   The "better" ones still use a metal pawl instead of plastic and some of the avionics guys prefer those.    The main direction I get in using them is to use some flush-cut pliers to cut the tail off so it doesn't stab anybody reaching around in there, just like bending the tail back on safety wire.

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

The main direction I get in using them is to use some flush-cut pliers to cut the tail off so it doesn't stab anybody reaching around in there, just like bending the tail back on safety wire.

Stab? More of a slice...:D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

Interesting.   Ty-Raps were originally invented for aircraft wiring and still get used for that a lot.   The "better" ones still use a metal pawl instead of plastic and some of the avionics guys prefer those.    The main direction I get in using them is to use some flush-cut pliers to cut the tail off so it doesn't stab anybody reaching around in there, just like bending the tail back on safety wire.

From NAVAIR 01-1A-505-1, the technical manual for installation and repair practices of aircraft electric and electronic wiring.  Tie wraps are used, they aren't used just anywere.  It has to explicitly allowed to be used.

Capture.PNG.3afe9f3f0d6be97b99ccb4ec0abac2b5.PNG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bob865 said:

From NAVAIR 01-1A-505-1, the technical manual for installation and repair practices of aircraft electric and electronic wiring.  Tie wraps are used, they aren't used just anywere.  It has to explicitly allowed to be used.

Capture.PNG.3afe9f3f0d6be97b99ccb4ec0abac2b5.PNG

3s1fk3.jpg

When I did my airframe rating I had to demonstrate wax tying a bundle.   I think I was the last guy that had to do that, as the DME now has everybody put a zip-tie on it.

I like working with wax cord on fresh installations. Getting in the grove tying them up is great. You can actually always have the perfect length! Lol.

On repairs and quick projects, zip-Ty’s are used. 
I use F4 tape on anything that touches engine mounts or tubes. F4 tape is really neat stuff and a lot of times I won’t even use zip-Ty’s if I’m happy with the F4 tape. 
-Matt

One of the first things I did after getting my Mooney was to replace all tie wraps with Adel clamps.

I've seen tie wraps cut right thru steel.

Sorry, not going to risk motor mounts and fuel lines for convenience.

• Like 1

Installation of everything as of yesterday is all done and everything worked as it should. Paid Electronics International their 300 bucks and got my file, worked first try. Fuel calibration was pain in the rear. Next Friday we have static/pitot/transponder checks schedule and test flight that weekend. Plane will unfortunately just sit finished for 4 days since it’s not legal without certs but I need few nights off to myself too, been at the hangar every night since we started. Tomorrow they will do one more run-up and install interior panels and cowls. Panel paint looks way better in person, light from everywhere changes it as it’s so matte. Happy with how everything turned out!

B8B5F306-7784-4C11-BF5E-CA51B2FF9A5B.jpeg

70ED1DD1-B7F2-4FE4-87AF-E0991E1AB787.jpeg

C3B49746-6A79-40F8-8938-34D9D9B3CE57.jpeg

403825B2-6AD2-4894-A094-B9313E5F4B75.jpeg

77962D13-9AFA-4F5D-B5AA-40323CF91D44.jpeg

EC99D2FA-D447-4D94-8801-4A7880692698.jpeg

ABA2A1CA-F25E-48E4-9AD3-76AE827C07A0.jpeg

E0F54F61-45C1-4472-8991-5DFC2A821905.jpeg

54CF2BB4-A54B-4781-94B7-6DD75B5F4BE2.jpeg

2943BB24-3DF1-4FB2-9D58-EAEB4473BEDA.jpeg

9048F5DF-457E-4157-BB5D-4FA75A69EAD2.jpeg

671915C0-58AA-4563-B80F-719087A34A22.jpeg

5C3DB3D2-ED1E-48BA-BBAB-13B17CFE2C61.jpeg

• Like 6

I have to add to make it known, I am beyond pleased with Electronics International's support on this. I've had my share of dealing with other avionics companies and they should take some lessons from E.I. on how to support their customers. It felt like Dave from E.I. was literally in the hangar and knew exactly what we needed. Looking at the pictures of the panel now and it's just sinking in how awesome this new setup is, not to even mention added safety! Love it! Thanks again E.I. and Dave!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, spleecho said:

I am beyond pleased with Electronics International's support on this.

EI's customer support has been well documented as first rate. It's good to have your very current PIREP that it's as good as it's always been.

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

Happy to help.  :)  The splash screen looks great!  Nice job getting that uploaded.

Just bought the CGR-30s and will start install soon.....Do they have a splash screen?