M20E Avionics Upgrade Project

Yeah:

new Garmin sl30 navcom (not being installed)

newish Garmin xponder 

king kma 20 audio panel

kt76 transponder

flightcom 403 intercom with soft tone

mooney engine gauge cluster-the small six pack

fuel pressure/manifold gauge 

voltmeter

shunt

electronics international EGT with probe

electronics international FP-5 Fuel flow with totalizer and fuel metering block and oil temp module

rpm gauge

4 minutes ago, TexMooney said:

You can see how sparse my panel is. KX170B and KI208 are not even hooked up (no harness yet). And no I haven’t flown it yet. Close after one year of work but not there yet. I had no idea how much damage he did robbing all sorts of small and not so small things to put on his RV he’s building. I’m going to lose money on this but I have a thing for saving planes that are destined for the scrapper.

781D82FA-DDA1-4B28-AB54-BB5668C2CAA3.jpeg

Oh that nav-com and transponder begging for upgrade! ;)

I hired a voice actor to do the audio files for the MVP-50P voice annunciator files. You may download and use it for your own just chop the pieces you need. Not for re-sale.  Zipped folder is already chopped down to 8-bit WAV files, I think you can go up as much as 22KHz for better sound quality.

Voice.mp3

Annunciator Files.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mooney space win win. I noticed in the first post that the Sky beacon was being replaced so I reached out and we struck a good deal for the purchase of the unit which I installed today. So how about that now I'm compliant and can fly into the Charlie and Bravo. Truth is we only needed it for KLVK as its one we need to access for family and it is just a mile or two into the SFO veil. Thanks again Spleecho and good luck with all your upgrades 

10 hours ago, spleecho said:

I hired a voice actor to do the audio files for the MVP-50P voice annunciator files. You may download and use it for your own just chop the pieces you need. Not for re-sale.  Zipped folder is already chopped down to 8-bit WAV files, I think you can go up as much as 22KHz for better sound quality.

Voice.mp3 1.57 MB · 18 downloads

Annunciator Files.zip 3.01 MB · 2 downloads

Anyone have the number for Gilbert Gottfried’s agent?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Pulled out so much old wire! To say scat tubing needed replacement is an understatement, Mose nose is full of it. Spent hours cleaning the engine and firewall, was awful, years of grime. He put in the avionics as mock up just to show me the light at the end of the tunnel. Wiring harness for transponder is done and was extremely easy, especially with Garmin’s altitude encoder. Hope audio panel goes the same way. Here’s some pics. Anybody got advice on how to paint the aluminum instrument panel? I want to do flat black. 

13E7FCC9-F83A-42F5-8A11-CB1A4C779064.jpeg

D7B9EF98-FB24-4B8E-8177-49835FB6D8F8.jpeg

FB90F2C0-2038-4278-9134-7E69626BA5DD.jpeg

44C55800-2F7F-4212-841B-CDDA6FE570F7.jpeg

E00F503A-83A0-4B9C-9BEB-4799F754ECEA.jpeg

C1FE8032-9858-43B5-A2D0-C9589EDE3F6E.jpeg

C1EFCFB7-B36D-4879-AEFF-83A81F6BF005.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 3:54 AM, spleecho said:

"Anybody got advice on how to paint the aluminum instrument panel? I want to do flat black. "

I think I would black anodize the part.

You have a tub capped in the picture below.  Mine is open to the engine compartment.  Any idea what this tube is for and why yours is capped and mine is not?  My best guess was this is for warmish air vs hot air so you could adjust the temps but I'm not sure.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:54 AM, spleecho said:

44C55800-2F7F-4212-841B-CDDA6FE570F7.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

You have a tub capped in the picture below.  Mine is open to the engine compartment.  Any idea what this tube is for and why yours is capped and mine is not?  My best guess was this is for warmish air vs hot air so you could adjust the temps but I'm not sure.

I looked inside before and it is just a bare box with no valve so if I were to remove this I would just be sucking in cold air instead of warm from the engine. No clue where this was supposed to go

That is the area where (I believe) the hot and cold air go to before going into the cabin...

On my 65C, that was a mixing box with two slide gates... one to control the hot air, the other cold...

After 65.... slide gates got replaced with butterfly type valves...

Be on the look-out for your heater / cabin air system...

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

That is meant to open and in some cases has a Scat duct which runs down to the cowl flap opening.  It is open to allow a constant flow of air around the muffler to help cool it when the heater valve to the cabin is closed.

Clarence

5ED9CE5F-9142-4AA9-B806-5B394F90A8A5.jpeg

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

That is meant to open and in some cases has a Scat duct which runs down to the cowl flap opening.  It is open to allow a constant flow of air around the muffler to help cool it when the heater valve to the cabin is closed.

Clarence

5ED9CE5F-9142-4AA9-B806-5B394F90A8A5.jpeg

Oh wow good to know! So I should probably uncap this then huh

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Does the shunt get a roof over it to keep things from falling on it?

Often, they get left open... anything that falls against and grounds a high current can get quite sparky... :)

The install looks great!

Best regards,

-a-

Yes it does, got those boots to put on once they wire it up.

@m20doc you were right about the vent on the heating scat hose, it is supposed to go down to be vented out, I am not sure why the last guy just capped it off but there is a butterfly valve inside the box that vents the heat out so I ordered 4 feet of 1 1/4 scat hose to route down towards exhaust to get the airflow back thru it once the heat is shut off inside the cabin. Thanks for this!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Wow that is gorgeous. Are you going to paint and silkscreen it too?

Yeah I am very happy how it turned out! So my original plan for this was to be flat black powder coated then silkscreen the info but now it's a no go as I spoke to a shop and they say it would go up to 400F in cooking up the powder coat and looking at the 6061 T-6 aluminum data sheet that would actually soften and weaken the panel. Now the plan is to etch prime and paint, hopefully comes out good.

5 hours ago, spleecho said:

It was a perfect fit! If you guys need help with CNC-ing your stuff his name is Hector Franco in California, his email is jrframer1@gmail.com

He was really helpful extremely reasonable with price and time.

IMG_2972.JPG

It looks really good!  What are you going to do with all of that empty space?

Clarence