What do you fly if not your Mooney?

Oldguy

I sit in one of these seats in the back of one of our corporate planes. We just had one of our GIV-SPs' interiors redone by Duncan Aviation in Battle Creek. Makes the trip from Birmingham to Cartagena very pleasant for 14 of us.

I know we have some Gulfstream pilots here on MS, but I will never be that good or qualified, so I sit in the back and relax.

How/What do you fly, if not in your Mooney?

No alternative text description for this image

• Like 3

I fly the 757/767, also fly a friends Malibu with him at times.....

The Malibu is great and I spent about 20 years flying Gulfstreamns and Lear's, larger and smaller boeings but I when I want some fun I climb into this Grumman Yankee with a 150 hp engine and GTN650, GTX345 etc etc etc.....its a blast

IMG_1549.JPG

• Like 8

I sold my 1978 J in 1993 to do some other things. My wife and I had pretty much done everything we set out to do with it in the seven years we owned it. We used the money from non-ownership to buy a bigger house and travel. I used the freedom to explore other facets of aviation. Flew aerobatics in Decathlons. Got a seaplane rating.  My wife gave me a DC-3 type rating for my 50th birthday and I got my ATP at the same time. Added a helicopter rating and flew helicopters for a bit. After retiring early from tech, I got a job flying float Beavers in Ketchikan in 2008 and 2009. Flew them in Seattle for a few summers after that. Along the way I met some warbird folks and flew a BT-13, T-6G, C-45 and right seat in a DC-3. A couple of years ago, I got the itch for keys in my pocket and bought another J. Kind of back where I started. :)

Skip

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Seymour said:

image.png.0756209f8c46334a99079bea4a03f769.png

Wow that is super setup for winter flying, chair is the most important bit get with leather and ejection seat B) I am jealous as I don't have much (heated) space to do a similar expansion (can't survive 2000h of FSX/XPlane in cold hangars, believe me I tried :lol:)

10 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

Wait a Second, people who own Mooneys fly Other planes? Its Mooney For me, Anything else is just uncivilized!!!!

For serious long distance A to B trips with pax? YES, everything else is just bad manners !!! 

Summer fun/cheap flying A to A with 1SOB? I give Mooney some respect and go for a G102 Astir (glider) or a D31 Turbulent (experimental), they are single seaters unfortunately but don't feel that lonely (someone is flying nearby sometimes closer than two wing spans)

Spot landing gliders without air-break maintains my Mooney landing currency, including putting gear down in busy pattern ;) 

Turbulents lands slow and vertically like Autogyros/Helicopters/Beech/Cessnas/Pipers while burning load of GPHs

image.thumb.png.63b7449e024008c170eb06fbfa06ba34.png

5FB3E4C5-7F16-4C6B-A63F-718E060E302E.thumb.JPG.55065627285f46b06bd1aa35ab90c3e9.JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ibra said:

can't survive 2000h of FSX/XPlane in cold hangars, believe me I tried

I'f think a good sim would double as an efficient space heater...  Then again, maybe enclosing a small area of the hangar (even a tent-like structure) would help?

On 1/31/2020 at 12:56 PM, Oldguy said:

I sit in one of these seats in the back of one of our corporate planes. We just had one of our GIV-SPs' interiors redone by Duncan Aviation in Battle Creek. Makes the trip from Birmingham to Cartagena very pleasant for 14 of us.

I know we have some Gulfstream pilots here on MS, but I will never be that good or qualified, so I sit in the back and relax.

How/What do you fly, if not in your Mooney?

No alternative text description for this image

I’ve never seen a Gulfstream configured like that. Looks neat. Battle Creek does amazing work. Best work I’ve seen out of any shop. 
Currently flying a really nice Falcon 50EX also Director of maintenance. 
-Matt

• Like 1