New Instrument requirements?

Joe Larussa

10 minutes ago, J0nathan225 said:

reference?

The new § 61.57(d) reads:

Instrument proficiency check. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section for more than six calendar months may reestablish instrument currency only by completing an instrument proficiency check. The instrument proficiency check must consist of at least the following areas of operation:

(i) Air traffic control clearances and procedures;

(ii) Flight by reference to instruments;

(iii) Navigation systems;

(iv) Instrument approach procedures;

(v) Emergency operations; and

(vi) Postflight procedures.

No, at one time, if you didn't meet the currency requirements, you could fly with an instructor and do the 6 approaches etc. within the next 6 months OR do an IPC. Not much of a change, but still a change

3 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I don’t see any difference. If you’ve been out of currency for 6 months you need an ipc. Doesn’t seem like a change. 

-Robert 

Just now, DonMuncy said:

No, at one time, if you didn't meet the currency requirements, you could fly with an instructor and do the 6 approaches etc. within the next 6 months OR do an IPC. Not much of a change, but still a change

That hasn’t changed. But if after 6 months you still haven’t gotten current you need an ipc. I never remember it ever being different. 

-Robert 

• Like 2

Word changes to make it easier to understand :o

According to the article and upon careful reading of the FAR I do not think it changes the requirement. 

"...a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience (6, 6 & 6 in last 6 months) requirements of paragraph (c) of this section for more than six calendar months..."

So if in January I do 6, 6 & 6 I have until June that I am current.  My 6 month period of being current.  I have 6 next months July to December to regain my currency by going out and flying the 6, 6 & 6 with an appropriate safety pilot, CFI or CFII or IPC if I so choose.

Now if you are doing a minimum  of 1,1&1 then I would think you still have 6 months from the last 1,1 & 1 to get current again without an IPC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

Word changes to make it easier to understand :o

According to the article and upon careful reading of the FAR I do not think it changes the requirement. 

"...a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience (6, 6 & 6 in last 6 months) requirements of paragraph (c) of this section for more than six calendar months..."

So if in January I do 6, 6 & 6 I have until June that I am current.  My 6 month period of being current.  I have 6 next months July to December to regain my currency by going out and flying the 6, 6 & 6 with an appropriate safety pilot, CFI or CFII or IPC if I so choose.

Now if you are doing a minimum  of 1,1&1 then I would think you still have 6 months from the last 1,1 & 1 to get current again without an IPC.

Correct. 
In summary, this new wording makes no significant change to the experience requirements. What has changed is the fact that currency can be maintained using a flight simulator, FTD or ATD and an instructor sign off on such activities is no longer required. In addition, now it is necessary to count the six-month period to conclude in the calendar month before the month of the intended flight.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I will merely note that if you look at the revision history at the end of FAR 61.57, you will find that this regulation has not changed since 1997.

[Doc. No. 25910, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997; Amdt. 61-103, 62 FR 40898, July 30, 1997]

If you look online at the FAA electronic FARs, the more recent list of date changes are not included  at the end of FAR 61.57 for some reason. But, changes were clearly made since then. The actual FARs text is current, updated and correct. 

My ASA Paper copy FAR AIM 2020 has a much longer list of changes with dates from April 4, 1997 thru June 27, 2018. I like that the ASA paper copy has vertical bold lines adjacent to updated text for easy identification. 

Edited by HXG

3 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

I had an instructor today in no uncertain terms tell me " The six month grace period no longer exists" 

If you are no longer current due to going passed your six months, you must have an IPC check, period!

And no CFI has ever been wrong.

• Haha 4

I don't know why this is so hard.

(d) Instrument proficiency check.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section for more than six calendar months may reestablish instrument currency only by completing an instrument proficiency check.

That means if you have been non-current for more than 6 months then you need the check. Six months and 1 day after that first of your last six approaches, you have only failed to meet the requirements for 1 day, not 6 months.

With that said, barring mechanical or medical issues, why push it? Get more than 1 every month so you only need to look back 2 or 3 months to find 6 approaches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I

With that said, barring mechanical or medical issues, why push it? Get more than 1 every month so you only need to look back 2 or 3 months to find 6 approaches.

I keep it simple by doing an ipc every 6 months. Because I fly in the clouds somewhat regularly it’s important to be on top of my game.  

-Robert

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I don't know why this is so hard.

(d) Instrument proficiency check.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section for more than six calendar months may reestablish instrument currency only by completing an instrument proficiency check.

That means if you have been non-current for more than 6 months then you need the check. Six months and 1 day after that first of your last six approaches, you have only failed to meet the requirements for 1 day, not 6 months.

Okay, I must be brain dead. My last IPC check was July 18th 2019. Plane was down for 3 months between annual and new paint job, so not much flying period. Not one approach. Do I need an IPC check or can I go out with a safety pilot and get it done?