Max G

Gatlin Gun

12 hours ago, bradp said:

You’ll like the G5s.  They’re simple and effective- not a lot of bells and whistles but the redundancy and 8hrs of battery backup are great. 

I hope so.  Because of my background and flying 20+ years with an HSI, I canNOT handle the compass card anymore!!!!  Yea...there are lots of other ways to "do that", but my T crosscheck is in my old-dog-brain.  It's the easiest money I've ever spent. :) 

4 hours ago, Gatlin Gun said:

Yea, if you couldn't tell from the pic, that's where I started...  And maybe that's why I asked the "g limit" question.  Seemed so basic and yet not so readily available to find the answer.

Gonna be in the Limitations section of every AFM.

The real question is what is its limit after 30 years of fatigue? The 22g number come from an faa estimate of a j break up in t storm. If the factory says 10 or 12 i'd go with that, meaning i wouldnt worry about it. But again, after fatigue, your guess is as good as mine. I wouldnt treat it like an f16:)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PT20J said:

Gonna be in the Limitations section of every AFM.

hum....not fighter performance manual (Vol. 2) that is where you find Energy/Ps graph tables of specific G-loads with/without afterburner :D

M20J has an AB: RamAir but does not make much difference to flight envelope AFAIK

• Like 1

I'm not looking to max perform "for fun", but I've flown a lot of different jets and airplanes.  Lots.  Not knowing "the limits" just blows my mind.  

My opinion, but max G /G limits ≠ max aircraft performance.

My experience is the pilot is the limiting factor when trying to get max performance out an aircraft.
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, TCC said:

My opinion, but max G /G limits ≠ max aircraft performance.

My experience is the pilot is the limiting factor when trying to get max performance out an aircraft.

Putting aside afterburners Ps and pilot G-locks, Mooney will show her best "manoeuvrability" at 80kts with a minimum 600ft turn radius (1.4G load and 45 deg turn) and max rate of climb of 1.6kfpm about there (max gradient is in 65kts region at SL but also goes up quickly to 80kts with altitude), this discussion is highly relevant to flying by hand or by autopilot at max power near terrain in MVFR, I personally slow it down to 80kts and do 45 degres turn (even in IMC) or bite bullet and climb above MSA

Yes, there is always a pilot limitation: no one is able to avoid weather/terrain flying at 160kts, 500ft ceiling, 1nm visibility while doing Rate1 turns or doing steep high G turns, instrument turn radius will be around 5500ft (2G around 3000ft) and you will only climb 600ft in 1nm !

So it should not be a surprise that a fast touring single will hit terrain in daylight if flying low, they are neither Cubs with 40kts stall nor Hornets with AB  

If these number don't look right, one has to give it a go in a sunny day at 1000ft agl initially then 500ft agl (easy to do in SuperCub/Glider but I found Mooney a bit fast to catch at 160kts) and you get a good view of manoeuvrability when at 500ft agl, at best when flying it at 80kts, the Mooney will show 2500ft on instrument turn (or 600ft on 45 deg) and will climb 1000ft in 1nm, these may clear you to MSA or back to VMC but they still very tight margins ;)

I don't count "extra manoeuvrability" from pulling stick to stall, not a good idea when flying low or near weather

Also some numbers are not that accurate (as my flying :lol:) but assume 60kts clean stall (like any fast single)

Edited by Ibra
  • Confused 1