Medical Certificate Storage

exM20K

Just got my crisp, new 3rd class today. Yay!  surrendering the old one which has been in my wallet for two years got me thinking:

It was in really bad shape.  The Feds don't want them laminated, and the certificate just gets all beat up in my wallet.  So... why not just keep it in the plane? I really don't fly any other planes currently, so is there really any downside to leaving it (and maybe my pilot's certificate) in the document folder in the plane?  I can't think of any obvious reason not to.

-dan

• Like 1

Certain things you are going to want to know where they are while on the road/skyway...

I have an old briefcase for things like AOPA card, EAA card, insurance documents... latest basic med. docs...

Foggles are in there as well... pens, pencils, and clip board.

It originated back when paper was used for flight plans, weather, and all the other details...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I just scan mine before cutting it out and then I can print one if I ever need to.

I've had to show it at FBOs to rent planes but it seldom comes out of my wallet. The only official that has ever asked to see it was Customs coming back into the US from Canada. The FAA asks them to check pilot and medical certificates. They don't seem particularly keen on it and they get testy if you don't have them readily available -- at least at Roche Harbor.

Skip

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Not sure, but that’s the word I’ve gotten from Super-AME  Dr. Bruce Chien

Hmm, also has any ever been violated by having laminated a medical and what was the consequence?  I know the government can be unreasonable, but it seems to me that having a valid but laminated medical should not be an issue.

I always stop at Kinkos on the way home from the AME to laminate the new cert.  It takes about 5 minutes.  I always photocopy it right before cutting, folding, and laminating, and since the ink is all black anyway, I have a non-laminated copy that looks indistinguishable from the laminated one.  But I've never had anyone say anything about it.

13 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Not supposed to laminate your SS card.... I’ve been a rebel for 40+ years.... how would you laminate a medical anyway? Mine is 1/3 sheet of paper 

Interesting. Yet another thing I didn’t know. But I cannot remember when I ever had to show it to anyone anyway. With all the security breaches, not to mention all the logbooks it’s written in from when it used to be my CFI number, I cannot imagine why the SSA is concerned about messing up the card’s security features. :)

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02202

Skip

10 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Interesting. Yet another thing I didn’t know. But I cannot remember when I ever had to show it to anyone anyway. With all the security breaches, not to mention all the logbooks it’s written in from when it used to be my CFI number, I cannot imagine why the SSA is concerned about messing up the card’s security features. :)

My SS card was issued in the mid to late 60's, no idea why my parents got it when I was like 6 or 7 years old, it's printed on heavy card stock and has ZERO security features. It was getting in really bad shape but clearly stated on it "do not laminate".

37 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

My SS card was issued in the mid to late 60's, no idea why my parents got it when I was like 6 or 7 years old, it's printed on heavy card stock and has ZERO security features. It was getting in really bad shape but clearly stated on it "do not laminate".

Similar situation for me. I think mine is in the safe deposit box. It’s still stapled to the  piece of paper it was mailed with. I think they just send you one when you apply for a SS number. 

18 hours ago, exM20K said:

The Feds don't want them laminated

Oops, didn't know that.  Mine is laminated and folded around my certificates in my wallet.  As a student, I had it taped into my logbook since I had to have that on every flight for the endorsements.  Once or twice that bit me when I hadn't planned to fly but wanted to and didn't have my logbook.  I like the idea of keeping them in the plane, but I'm sure a time would come when I want to fly a different plane and wouldn't have them with me.

@RLCarter As to how to laminate, I folded mine in half so it has the cert is on one side and the conditions of use are on the other side.  I then laminated that, trimmed it, and folded it in half again, which makes it just a bit larger than a credit card.

This thread prompted me to take a photo of each (front and back) with my cell.  Now even if I don't have the original with me, at least I have proof of them.  Not sure a photo of each would be technically legal, but I'd guess it would suffice in most real-world situations.

Back in the 60s... kids didn’t get SS cards... until everyone was sure they were going to live...  so few numbers available, they didn’t want to waste the good ones...

Moms typically applied for them for all the children at one time...  so.... I know my sibling’s ssn because it is +/- 1 from mine...

Want to freak out your sibling... guess there ssn... they will think it’s random.... back in the day, there wasn’t a concern... for how important this number will become...

PP thoughts only...  after retiring they send you a new card for some reason...

As far as laminating it goes... back in the day, lamination would cause paper to fail after a decade or two... or somebody would screw it up on day one... :)

Best regards,

-a-

And, if you're interested in how Social Security numbers are assigned:

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html

I carry my medical certificate in my wallet because I fly a variety of airplanes and I can't do aerobatics with my flight bag. I don't laminate it because my wallet is thick enough already.

Skip