TKS Slinger Ring Nozzle

GeeBee

I was running my TKS system for its monthly run on my M20R when I noticed my prop system was not "wet". Pulled the cowling and found the copper nozzle tube gone. So I began hunting down a new one. I just got the latest Mooney parts manual and it said part "0111-08". I checked that against the CAV Systems parts list and it says the "0111-08" is only for the M20M. It said the correct part for the M20R is "4562". Indeed when I checked the logs on my airplane I find it is a 4562, replaced "early and often" from my view.

I called CAV, they are great folks by the way and inquired. They confirmed it is indeed 4562 not 0111-08. However something piqued my interest in the CAV parts manual and it said, "08125-08 Optional". I inquired what the difference was. Turns out the 08125-08 is stainless steel and pre-formed as opposed to the malleable copper line. I was informed many operators preferred the stainless as it was more durable. I ordered the SS unit to give it a try, because the copper tube does not seem durable. Anyone have any experience?

• Like 2

I was running my TKS system for its monthly run on my M20R when I noticed my prop system was not "wet". Pulled the cowling and found the copper nozzle tube gone. So I began hunting down a new one. I just got the latest Mooney parts manual and it said part "0111-08". I checked that against the CAV Systems parts list and it says the "0111-08" is only for the M20M. It said the correct part for the M20R is "4562". Indeed when I checked the logs on my airplane I find it is a 4562, replaced "early and often" from my view.
I called CAV, they are great folks by the way and inquired. They confirmed it is indeed 4562 not 0111-08. However something piqued my interest in the CAV parts manual and it said, "08125-08 Optional". I inquired what the difference was. Turns out the 08125-08 is stainless steel and pre-formed as opposed to the malleable copper line. I was informed many operators preferred the stainless as it was more durable. I ordered the SS unit to give it a try, because the copper tube does not seem durable. Anyone have any experience?
I have a Stainless one one my Bravo...expensive but makes sense

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

How long is the copper nozzle?

Sounds like it can be susceptible to vibration, crack forming, finally falling apart with crack propagation...

Sounds like a pre-flight item prior to using the system... check to make sure it is there...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards, 

-a-

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Sounds like it can be susceptible to vibration, crack forming, finally falling apart with crack propagation...

Sounds like a pre-flight item prior to using the system... check to make sure it is there...

Best regards, 

-a-

No because it is highly annealed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards, 

-a-

On my 231, I lost a copper nozzle.  One thing to be alert for is letting the tether for cowl plugs slip between the back of the spinner and the front of the cowling.  It can get hung up on the nozzle.  
-dan

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 7:39 PM, GeeBee said:

Definitely go for the steel.  I’ve been through two copper ones with my older MacCauley prop and have only had the steel tube after switching to the Hartzell.  I believe the nut needs safety-wiring in place once you have it fitted and positioned to point at the slinger ring properly.  You shouldn’t have any trouble beyond that.

Steve