Turtlepac?

airbuspilot2436

1 minute ago, steingar said:

I think most Mooneys with long range fuel can make that trip sans ferry tank.  Extra fuel tanks are spendy, but so are ferry tanks.  The difference is if you put in the extra gas tank you get to keep ti when the trip is done.

I'd get to keep it or even borrow one from a friend!

I don't feel that comfortable doing it without ferry tanks. I know theoretically it's possible but I'd like to plan for a large margin of safety. 

Edited by airbuspilot2436
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, airbuspilot2436 said:

Good afternoon from Switzerland!

Do any of you guys have experience with the Turtlepac ferry tanks?

Will be flying my Mooney from Geneva, Switzerland to New York in late June. 

Thank you!

-Thomas

I do. I bought one several years ago and I use it each time I fly from Central America to the US I use it. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it is built and support is great. Because I just need 2 additional hours of fuel, I got the 20 gallon tank. Highly recommended. 

Oscar

• Like 1

I'd also suggest a ferry tank is unnecessary. I did the trip in a -J about 18 months ago and plan at least one crossing this summer in an Ovation. The longest leg is 520nm from Wick to Egilsstadir though you can even split that one with a stop at Vagar. The key, in my view, is to play it extremely conservatively with the weather. Push ahead while the weather is good but stop, wait and enjoy the experience on the ground for as long as it takes for conditions to improve.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I could do without the “honey Mooney “, but otherwise yes.

Tom

Yeah, that text doesn't do much for me either.   But I really like the simplicity of the paint scheme and the graceful curves.   We might do something like that when the time+$ comes to paint our bird.  I put that photo in my "nice paintjobs" folder.  :)

On 1/29/2020 at 9:06 AM, airbuspilot2436 said:

Thank you!

-Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I have a Turtlepac that I used in several Mooney's over the last years. It worked always perfect and installation is not a big effort. If you have the long range tank conversion the North Atlantic route is savely doable without. Just a bit more stops and maybe a higher fuel price. Without long range you would need a ferry tank.

Hendrik

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 6:06 AM, airbuspilot2436 said:

Thank you!

-Thomas

Thomas, is it safe to assume you didn't make the trip because of the pandemic? If you did make the trip, how did it go?

I've made the trip in both directions with my J, 64 gallon tanks, and no ferry tank. I think it's quite safe with that amount of fuel, if you follow the advice of G-SLOT and stay conservative about the weather.