Have you ever been hit with a laser pointer?

Have you ever been hit with a laser pointer?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been hit with a laser pointer?

• Yes
    • Not that I know of

Sometimes laser-pointer idiots do get caught!  Here is a fantastic video of some dOOd with a laser pointer getting arrested.  Glad they caught this one.  Note that it was "A Florida Man".

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/01/he-pointed-laser-at-airplanes-landing.html

I have never been lased that I know of, and hope I never am.

Edited by 0TreeLemur
Added reference to "A Florida Man" ;-)

I have!  The first little flash caught my attention, looked out the side window of the MD-80 and got hit again.  It was a green laser and I looked right down the beam.  This happened on approach to South Bend, IN.  I didn’t suffer any vision loss and thankfully I wasn’t the PF.  I was able to report the approximate location to the tower never did hear anything about it.  I did work the flight back to IWA but took the next day off and went the eye Dr.  

Over the years, I’ve seen many lasers pointed at aircraft I’ve been in.  All that really happens is a green flash that lights up the flight deck.  I once saw a green laser hit the aircraft from the passenger window.  It’s fairly common in Phoenix.  We get NOTAMs about it in certain cities.  

Too many idiots with nothing to do.

Was shooting an approach into KBRO (Brownsville, Tx), ATC warned us about an idiot with a pointer. We did several more approaches and was able to direct BPD to the house. Later heard on the local news he was in jail...... Dumbass 

Nope, but was the subject of a funny interchange with ATC. On the way back from Phoenix and had begun our descent just west of Palm Springs. Approaching March ARB, ATC advises us that there had been reports of a laser xx miles ahead just north of our heading. Without thinking I responded "We'll keep an eye out for it." 

She responded back right away, "Uh, I don't think that's the best idea." :lol:

I think I said something like "Yeah, I mean we'll let you know if we see anything." 

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2020 at 10:26 PM, Skates97 said:

Nope, but was the subject of a funny interchange with ATC. On the way back from Phoenix and had begun our descent just west of Palm Springs. Approaching March ARB, ATC advises us that there had been reports of a laser xx miles ahead just north of our heading. Without thinking I responded "We'll keep an eye out for it." 

She responded back right away, "Uh, I don't think that's the best idea." :lol:

I think I said something like "Yeah, I mean we'll let you know if we see anything." 

That's funny.   What ATC really meant was "If you have them, put  on your anti-laser goggles or close your eyes the next 5 miles".  Kind of goes against the grain of "see and avoid".  I guess putting on a hood or foggles would be the best defense in that case if you were IFR?   If VFR then what?  If some fool is illuminating aircraft with one of these ridiculously powerful green lasers that are for sale online, looking for the beam is not a good thing .   Ask for vectors around it? 

Maybe we should all carry around these:  http://www.certified-laser-eyewear.com/lg-005l-green-laser-safety-goggles-532nm-lb4-od-7/