Garmin GI 275

M20R

On 1/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, PT20J said:

I wonder what it means to interface with the GFC 500. Isn't the autopilot logic in the G5?

On 1/27/2020 at 9:09 PM, Steve W said:

Hopefully it means the 275 will get the same code so it can act alone without a G5.

It will function in the same way as the G5 and the GFC-500, however, you will no longer be required to have a GAD-29 or GAD-13 interfaces like your required to have for the G5 for autopilot interfacing and Temperature. 

Just now, jetdriven said:

That unit, however is going to cost nearly 5k plus install 

I have seen quotes for a GI-275 ADI installed for just at 5k. Something to keep in mind is that Garmin's website prices are MSRP. For example, the CDI/MFD GI-275 is on sale at a few dealers for about 500 dollars off what Garmin's prices with Sarasota Avionics running the best deal I have seen on one.

• 4 months later...

Just installed 2 GI 275s in my 1986 M20J (picked up the plane today) to enable me to not have to replace the KAP100 autopilot.  One flight so far, the autopilot works great with the 275. I will shoot approaches this weekend.  With the magnetometer and OAT, the system provides heading (vs track) inputs and standard rate turn indicators. Total cost with two of the Garmin USB chargers was under $17k and I can replace my KAP100 if it ever breaks.    

• Like 2

17k price seems the going rate for dual g275 units with AP signals, install and testing to be completed next week on ovation, extras included temp probe, and a lot of wires to be reconnected. T&B was left in panel, if removed required an extra switch for function switch

For the GI 275 set up. as it was explained, leave turn coordinator in. if you remove it you have to add an extra switch the GI 275 system to make the the HSI become a standby when the attitude fails. if you don't remove it you can just do it through the face of the HSI and it is a much cleaner install. No need to remove instruments if you don,t need the space for some thing else!

I had long ago replaced my turn coordinator with an electronic attitude indicator (as soon as the FAA allowed it). I never liked the turn coordinator as the only electric gyro in the plane and thought that an electronic AI was much better. I am glad I did that because I flew a long time with my so-so mechanical gyro waiting for an electronic option that would connect to my KAP100.  I hope to shoot some practice approaches this weekend to get the feel for the workflow and operations.  The biggest learning curve will likely be to know where to look for what and transfer my old habits from the many instruments to the two 275s. I kept the electronic AI as a redundant AI, which along with my stratus AHRS provides a "tie breaker" if one AHRS goes awry. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:47 AM, Daniel Low said:

Just installed 2 GI 275s in my 1986 M20J (picked up the plane today) to enable me to not have to replace the KAP100 autopilot.  One flight so far, the autopilot works great with the 275. I will shoot approaches this weekend.  With the magnetometer and OAT, the system provides heading (vs track) inputs and standard rate turn indicators. Total cost with two of the Garmin USB chargers was under $17k and I can replace my KAP100 if it ever breaks.    

Lets see it! Im thinking of getting dual GI275s in my J this month. Id love to see how they look in the panel. 

• 4 weeks later...