Precautions for impending hurricane?

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

It's been amazing watching the amount f rain fall and flooding in Texas.  It sure makes a bit of snow seem OK.

Clarence

Imagine that volume of wate falling as snow. Don't they say a foot of snow is an inch of raIn? 

• Like 1

In 2005 when Wilma came to South Florida, the hangar doors were blown in, hitting the spinner and damaging the left aileron. The insurance company paid for a tear down and replacement of the aileron. Moral of the story is, even a hangar won't always offer enough protection.

• Like 1

I bought my 64E in 1989.  The previous owner had upgraded to a Lance, and moved the Mooney to an outdoor tie-down so the Lance could live in a hangar.  A week before I purchased, a tornado blew thru and the hangar roof collapsed on the Lance, breaking off the vertical stabilizer/rudder.  The Mooney was undamaged. 

• Like 1

It's hard to plan for tornadoes . . .

But my insurance offers Hurricane Relocation Expense coverage. Prep the yard, close up the house, put the car in the hangar and go visiting somewhere safely inland is my plan. And yes, I remember that Hugo messed up Charlotte pretty well after resculpting the SC coast. Depending on direction of movement, I think either Virginia , west Texas or maybe WV would be good places to run away to from just above the Florida panhandle.

3 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

I bought my 64E in 1989.  The previous owner had upgraded to a Lance, and moved the Mooney to an outdoor tie-down so the Lance could live in a hangar.  A week before I purchased, a tornado blew thru and the hangar roof collapsed on the Lance, breaking off the vertical stabilizer/rudder.  The Mooney was undamaged. 

Further proof that Mooney's are impervious to whatever nature can throw at it!

8 hours ago, peevee said:

Imagine that volume of wate falling as snow. Don't they say a foot of snow is an inch of raIn? 

I'm not sure what the ratio is.  I've seldom heard of a hangar blowing away in a blizzard or a basement being flooded with snow.  Winter isn't so bad when I see what other people endure.

Clarence

33 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I'm not sure what the ratio is.  I've seldom heard of a hangar blowing away in a blizzard or a basement being flooded with snow.  Winter isn't so bad when I see what other people endure.

Clarence

Wet snow is about 1":10", dry snow is close to 1":12".

On 8/27/2017 at 4:13 PM, McMooney said:

20170827_kdwh.thumb.jpg.f80f1d4e31ec013944e2887a17d32ebd.jpghere's the first picture i received this morning

The only good thin is if nothing too critical gets wet you can clean it up and be flying again in a couple of weeks just don't let it sit wet for those weeks get on it quick.  When mine got flooded in Isaac it was salt water and the plane was totaled even though within days I started taking it apart to dry and clean it with fresh water and corrosion protection.

I think I also have relocation coverage. I live as far in-land as possible that can be considered such in Florida. The nastiest Wx we ever get from a direct hit is usually a lot of rain and downed trees/power lines. I would have no problem letting my plane ride out a CAt 1 or 2 direct hit, but if insurance is giving away flight time, I'll go log ~5 hours on their dime to avoid anything bigger.

• Like 3

Just now, Hank said:

I've been hit by a 3, thankfully a little inland. It was not fun!

I have dozens under my belt and you are correct, not fun. Having been  through many earthquakes when I lived in California, I can honestly say I'd rather deal with them. What many people who have never been through a hurricane don't know is that sustained winds are just that. Imagine being hunkered down in your home for hours as the wind consistently blows at 150mph without letting up for one single minute. And when the eye passes over it's completely calm and blue sky can be seen directly overhead, only for the whole thing to start over again for another few hours.