Precautions for impending hurricane?

Houston is pretty much under water.  Both main airports are closed till at least Thursday.   We drove back from Colorado to see where we can start helping.  There are probably 3 more days of water rescues that need to happen.   It will take Houston several years to rebuild. 

http://harveyrelief.handiworks.co/rescue-map

10 hours ago, McMooney said:

A__1DE2.thumb.jpg.63e5926da8ad8d10061e59d99b9a0cba.jpgA__AE47.thumb.jpg.39f410eae7fa8d7cfe7ee3fc772d3bc6.jpg

this is from someone who was  brave enough to go to the airport this afternoon, makes me hopeful, I'm crossing my fingers 8)

not my plane but this hangar is close to mine.  

That's what mine looked like after the "Tax Day" floods, thus my reason for jacking it up with bags on the gear.  I hope it didn't go much higher and I hope your home is safe.

Russ

3 minutes ago, McMooney said:

txbyker, what all did you have to do after the tax day floods ?

did you repack the bearings?  what shop did the work? how long did it take?

Fortunately, the water line was just like the pic and therefore no damage.  However if yours did get wet call Andrew Francis.  PM me and I will provide you his private cell.  He hangers near me on K and is an A&P, IA and could do the work in your hangar. 

Russ

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, Mooneymite said:

Just happened to see this (somewhat edited):

HOU is notamed closed until Wednesday...

HOU Current Conditions:

Ramp:  At least ankle high water

Runways:  All runways have some standing water and debris on them
                4/22  The entire runway has standing water and debris with 8% affected by 1ft or more of standing water.
                13R The entire runway has standing water and debris with 1% affected by deeper water.
17/35 The entire runway has standing water and debris with 5% affected by deeper water.

Airport Safety Areas:  65% underwater

Taxiway Intersections:  50% underwater

Runway / Taxiway Lights:  All lights underwater and/or not working

Instrument Landing Systems:  All out of service

ATC:
                Houston TRACON: Staffed and operational
                Houston Center: Staffed and operational
                HOU Tower: Closed last night at 2am. Two controllers spent the night in the tower.  They are not legal to work until 1100C (1600Z)

Airport Access:  Houston Police Department will not allow people to enter or leave the airport at this time.

Main entrance:  Underwater deeper than a car.
                Security Check Point Between Provisioning and the Terminal: The airport recently staffed this check point so that when/if conditions allow we are able to now drive trucks from provisioning to the terminal
Security Check Point Between the Hangar and the Terminal: The airport recently staffed this check point so that when/if conditions allow we are able to now drive trucks from the hangar to the terminal

TSA
                The one central security check point in the terminal has a limited staff and open to process employees and stranded passengers.

Hotels:  We have people at Double Tree, Best Western, & Marriott; however, they cannot get to the airport due to flooding.  We have been advised by station personnel that the Marriott is without power and there is hip deep water around the Best  Western.

HOU Services

Electricity:  Yes

Running Water:  Yes

Toilets:  Yes  -  No cleaners were able to come into work so bathrooms are getting dirty; however, they are working.

Pappasito’s Cantina is giving free breakfast tacos to the stranded people.

Its good to know the TSA is still open to "process" people, flights or not.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I have dozens under my belt and you are correct, not fun. Having been  through many earthquakes when I lived in California, I can honestly say I'd rather deal with them. What many people who have never been through a hurricane don't know is that sustained winds are just that. Imagine being hunkered down in your home for hours as the wind consistently blows at 150mph without letting up for one single minute. And when the eye passes over it's completely calm and blue sky can be seen directly overhead, only for the whole thing to start over again for another few hours.

With the wind coming from the opposite direction. In the ones I've been through,  that is when a lot of the damage occurs. The wind on the front side has been blowing at increasing strength up to the maximum, but when the back side of the storm hits, it is instant high speed winds. Trees bent one way by the wind are bent in the opposite direction with the ground even weaker by the water associated with the storm.

When the eye passes, we typically go out, clear out any storm drains or ditches, if possible, and re-secure anything loosened by the front side. Then it is back inside for the next part of the ride.

16 minutes ago, peevee said:

Hopefully they're  on a mission other than supporting trumps visit and they're dropping supplies.

The presidential TFR is for Austin and Corpus Christy, so it looks like the aircraft are probably there for supply/evacuations. 

I flew numerous C-130 missions into New Orleans immediately following Hurricane Katrina, our primary mission was aero-medical evacuations.