Precautions for impending hurricane?

What precautions did you take, or do you take, in the event of impending stormy weather.

Up to 50kts - we check the tie downs and insurance paperwork.

For winds forecast to be hurricane or above...

We flew to Gary, IN and visited Chicago for a day and a half.

Best regards,

-a-

I flew to Toledo, Chicago, and Cleveland to keep it out of harms way. Made something interesting out of the evacuation. Weather was superb with high pressure everywhere but back home!

If anything I was more worried about a ratty 152 barely tied down flipping into my plane from the tie down next to me. I get back and the thing is still there in as awful condition as ever but not one bit worse. I suppose she would have been alright had I not been so paranoid.

My right seat belt barely reaches the yoke. What I did at SNF the day before the tornado, when heavy TS were forecast but didn't materialize, was wrap two bungees between the yokes to neutralize the ailerons, then used two long bungees from the right seat release bar to the yoke. If you're interested, I have the "insurance pictures" at home that I can attach.

Typically I use one bungee at each location, wrapped around and  hooked to itself.

So one observation I made at my old aero club... we had all our planes in tie downs when Hurricane Ike hit here in Houston.  One of the hangers a plane used was empty (as the plane had been evacuated), and they moved one of the tie downs from the ramp to the hanger.  It seemed to make sense as the likelihood of hail is high, falling debris, etc etc.  All the planes in the tie downs were fine (good rope can withstand some pretty strong wind) but many MANY hangers collapsed and destroyed many planes. 

My take is evacuate for the hurricane in your airplane.  I spent 6 hrs just crossing Houston during the Hurricane Rita evacuation.  Next time I can't wait to head far far away from the coastal zones in the comfort of my Mooney.  Only downside is you can only bring limited cargo with you, so find a neighbor or something who is willing to take some of your family photo albums or other things with you.

Also, randomly, I noticed a line in my insurance provisions that they will give you up to $500 toward expenses associated with evacuating your plane for a hurricane.   Not sure its worth making a claim on this and what the associated eventual rate increase would be.

I cancelled a planned trip MRH to Cape Cod on Thursday.  Flew out of my home airport at Beaufort/Morehead mid-day Friday to a hanger in Burlington NC.  Planned to return to MRH Sunday but a TFR was established over eastern NC.  Fortunately, very little damage was done to MRH and my hanger there is undamaged.  As I work in Raleigh and live in Beaufort being stuck in Raleigh area is not too bad.  Hope to get home tomorrow.

Yes, my insurance pays $500.00 for the move.  Is it worth it? NOT, except to protect the airplane.  Rental car, hanger and fuel were near $500.00.   Will not relocate again for a Cat 1 storm.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys

Last year I screwed up through indecision and poor planning during Hurricane Isaac here in New Orleans. Hopefully I have learned since then.

My plan this year is to fly my plane to the Dallas or Birmingham area and then have a non-stop SW airlines flight back to New Orleans. I am looking for some assistance from anyone in those areas for a small airport within a reasonable distance from BHM or DAL. A spot in a hangar would be great but I think either of these places are far enough north that the worst of the winds would have decreased by then and an outside spot would do in a pinch.

Currently I have identified LNC or HQZ as a potential candidates around Dallas. Birmingham appears to be a little more challenging.

Nashville is also an option and fly to Lebanon M54.

My only concerns with BHM and M54 is they are in the typical path of many storms after they make landfall even though the effects would be greatly diminished.

For Dallas, consider RBD, my home drome. There are tiedowns available (I think free) and Ambassador Jet (my landlord) always has some hangars available. You might call and ask about costs. Odds are good I could shuttle you across to DAL.

+1 to Don's suggestion- RBD would be my first stop in Dallas.  Reasonably close to Love Field for your southwest flight, and Ambassador Jet Center always took good care of me when I was hangared there until last summer.  Fuel prices are reasonable and the line staff are familiar with Mooneys- when I left there were at least 4 in their T hangars.  I think they may have started to charge a nominal fee for overnights in their hangar, but it's not enough to worry about given why you're leaving New Orleans.

If you end up at Addison let me know you're coming and I may be able to help you out.

Mooneys are pretty good withstanding hurricane winds. After all they fly into hurricane winds all the time. Most of the damage is caused by flying debris and flying out of the tie down. When out of home base in a hurricane zone this is what I do:

1. Tie down firmly to concrete the nose wheel. This will keep the plane from pitching up and getting airborne.

2. Tie down firmly to concrete the tail. This will keep the plane from flipping over.

3. Set the elevator trim to all the way nose down.

4. Lock in the seat headrests into the yoke arms and secure them with a rope. This will keep the control surfaces from fluttering  

5. Raise the flaps.

6  Secure other planes next to yours.

7. Remove anything around that can be tossed 

8. Install plane windows cover. This will keep the windows from getting scratched by small debris.

9. Tie down your plane far from trees and poles.

Hangars and buildings serve as a wind barrier. If you can find a tiedown in between buildings that minimze wind effects.

Having it hangared is the best if it is a hurricane rated hangar. When Andrew came by Miami I saw air planes tie down with less or no damage than some that were hangared.

Of course flying out of the hurricane zone is the best option but not always feasible.

José

• Like 1

And did anyone mention that many insurance policies will pay your expenses to fly out of harms way.  When Irene was headed toward New England, I ended up with an all expense paid trip to...  wait for it...  Cleveland...

Insurance company was happy to have it safe and sound somewhere else, and I believe would reimburse up to $2000.  I believe you had to have an active hurricane warning in your base county.

Greg

My insurance will cover I think up to $1,000. Either way a flight out is cheaper than the cost of pre-buys, and traveling to find another plane and then get it up to your standards and not flying for one two three months or more. I know from experience.

Before I bought my plane, I was living very close to the NC coast. I discovered courtesy of work that a very nice place to be when a hurricane is headed inland is St. Louis. Spent a lot of time watching CNN and Weather Channel, wondering if I would have a house when I got back . . . Now I live safely out of harm's way, except for that silly derecho storm that blew through last summer. And let's not talk about snow . . . .

Pick a city West of the Missisip and as far North as you want to go...

Hurricanes use the moisture and energy that is available from the large river. They essentially track the river on their way north.

They generally fall apart when they get over land..or colder water.

I gave my opinion of going to Chicago from NJ at the top of this thread...

Chicago two years ago was better than being in a hangar last year. Both events broke tie downs and tipped over airplanes outside at my home drome.

Plan on a couple of days being out of the office...

Tie down nearby nearby C150 and Cherokee 140. They are the typical breakaways, the tripacer is equally viable, but much less common...

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 years later...

Just happened to see this (somewhat edited):

HOU is notamed closed until Wednesday...

HOU Current Conditions:

Ramp:  At least ankle high water

Runways:  All runways have some standing water and debris on them
                4/22  The entire runway has standing water and debris with 8% affected by 1ft or more of standing water.
                13R The entire runway has standing water and debris with 1% affected by deeper water.
17/35 The entire runway has standing water and debris with 5% affected by deeper water.

Airport Safety Areas:  65% underwater

Taxiway Intersections:  50% underwater

Runway / Taxiway Lights:  All lights underwater and/or not working

Instrument Landing Systems:  All out of service

ATC:
                Houston TRACON: Staffed and operational
                Houston Center: Staffed and operational
                HOU Tower: Closed last night at 2am. Two controllers spent the night in the tower.  They are not legal to work until 1100C (1600Z)

Airport Access:  Houston Police Department will not allow people to enter or leave the airport at this time.

Main entrance:  Underwater deeper than a car.
                Security Check Point Between Provisioning and the Terminal: The airport recently staffed this check point so that when/if conditions allow we are able to now drive trucks from provisioning to the terminal
Security Check Point Between the Hangar and the Terminal: The airport recently staffed this check point so that when/if conditions allow we are able to now drive trucks from the hangar to the terminal

TSA
                The one central security check point in the terminal has a limited staff and open to process employees and stranded passengers.

Hotels:  We have people at Double Tree, Best Western, & Marriott; however, they cannot get to the airport due to flooding.  We have been advised by station personnel that the Marriott is without power and there is hip deep water around the Best  Western.

HOU Services

Electricity:  Yes

Running Water:  Yes

Toilets:  Yes  -  No cleaners were able to come into work so bathrooms are getting dirty; however, they are working.

Pappasito’s Cantina is giving free breakfast tacos to the stranded people.

13 minutes ago, McMooney said:

Wish I had done something, guessing, my plane is making a bad impression of a boat right now.

I drove to Hooks about 2 hours ago - from the looks of it the runways were covered, the T hangars probably had about 8" of water - my hangar M7 had some wet spots but more dry than wet.  The rain stopped while I was there and the water seemed to be receding - parking lot in front of Gill was level with the lake, but I didn't have my rod with me to try for any bass....