Tidbit of FAA Information

FoxMike

Commencing on 30Jan2020, the Colorado Air and Spaceport will have a new identifier CFO.  Entering the old identifier FTG will cause your GPS to navigate you got the giant FAA waste can of used letters and numerals located underneath some nameless FAA employees desk.

1 hour ago, FoxMike said:

Commencing on 30Jan2020, the Colorado Air and Spaceport will have a new identifier CFO.  Entering the old identifier FTG will cause your GPS to navigate you got the giant FAA waste can of used letters and numerals located underneath some nameless FAA employees desk.

Where did you get this tidbit of info?  Nether my wife or I have heard anything about this change.  

GPS database salesmen at work....  :)

Everyone needs an update every now and then...

For security purposes we can start adding characters to the name like %, #, $/AMUs....

And update more often than the usual 28day cycle...

Go secure capitalism!

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I would expect your wife to know ahead of any of us. That airport sits under her airspace.

She had no idea.  Which is weird but not out of the realm of government oversight.  However, I can’t find any info about the change including the Airport’s website.  For a change that is reported to happen in a just 3 days, I would expect to find some press release on the change.  :huh:

6 hours ago, FoxMike said:

Well, this is interesting.  There is no NOTAM I can find under FTG or CFO relating to this in the FAA NOTAM search tool:

https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html#/

A quick search didn't turn up anything in the most recent National Flight Data Digest (the source for charting updates).

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/aero_data/nfdd/

But... If I search the FAA Location Indentifiers Search Tool, I find entries for both FTG and CFO, though CFO does not show up in Foreflight.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/aero_data/loc_id_search/Encodes_Decodes/

It must have been published in an earlier NFDD.

Where did you find out about it?

Skip

I should have provided a citation  of the Safety Alert I received.  The new Identifier was published by National Flight Data Digest #237 (Published 10 Dec2019).  A retired FAA friend sent me a copy of it.  Check it out. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, FoxMike said:

I should have provided a citation  of the Safety Alert I received.  The new Identifier was published by National Flight Data Digest #237 (Published 10 Dec2019).  A retired FAA friend sent me a copy of it.  Check it out. 

Right you are!!  What a sneaky change.  

E8F02BC6-5702-4614-85A4-DCB16416DABC.jpeg

17 minutes ago, FoxMike said:

Ah, that explains it -- I didn't look far enough back. Thanks.

Still curious from what source did you get the safety alert?

Also, interesting that the FAA doesn't disseminate this stuff internally -- apparently.

Skip

10 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Also, interesting that the FAA doesn't disseminate this stuff internally -- apparently.

Skip

Ha! Her response was “Hmm, we’ll get briefed on it in a month or two, if at all.”  

Nothing like the speed of government.

• Haha 3