'78 J Interior Placard locations

Nippernaper

I finished up with my interior re-do, which included repairing and repainting the interior plastic parts.  I've got replacement placards to install, but can't quite remember the correct location for the ones in the baggage area (and baggage door).  The descriptions in the POH aren't quite sufficient for me to figure out where to put them.  Anyone have some photos of these areas?  Thanks.

Tom

33 minutes ago, Nippernaper said:

I finished up with my interior re-do, which included repairing and repainting the interior plastic parts.  I've got replacement placards to install, but can't quite remember the correct location for the ones in the baggage area (and baggage door).  The descriptions in the POH aren't quite sufficient for me to figure out where to put them.  Anyone have some photos of these areas?  Thanks.

Tom

Tom, 

i am going to attempt to repair and replace all my plastic and carpet as well this February. Do you mind PM’ing me with how and what materials you used? Not to hijack this thread so to answer your question I am heading to the hanger this evening and will take some pics for you. 

• Like 1

Tom, 
i am going to attempt to repair and replace all my plastic and carpet as well this February. Do you mind PM’ing me with how and what materials you used? Not to hijack this thread so to answer your question I am heading to the hanger this evening and will take some pics for you. 

Will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom,
Which ones do you need the details for...
1) Hat rack?
2) baggage compartment?
3) Anything else?
The O will have the same decals, and the POH may be a bit more modern/detailed...
Best regards,
-a-

Yes to 1 and 2, and also the ones on the inside of the baggage door. I have the placards, just not certain where to stick them!

Tom

10 hours ago, Nippernaper said:

Tom

I had to run out to the plane anyway, so I took a couple of pictures. Let us know what you did to refurbish your plastic and how it worked out.

IMG_3368.thumb.JPG.6a3faccfc989394442db8db9afe77e7b.JPG

IMG_3370.thumb.JPG.10f6a5bb51b3b81a5f2a22eb7ca36816.JPG

Ugh... (message for Skip)

Another plastic failing device... the clear window where the arrow documents are stored...

PVC that gets more rigid with time... as the plasticizer escapes out of it...

Bummer...

Probably a simple solution that can be found at Staples...

Best regards,

-a-

So, what kind of plastic are they using for auto interiors these days? The vinyl seats used to crack and some if the older plastics turned to powder, but the latest stuff seems to hold up really well. 

The carpet is shot. The runway at my home drome is going to be closed for a couple of months this spring for repaving so I’m likely going go use the time to redo the interior —including the document holder:) 

Skip

Many of the softer solids are a mixture of rubber and polypropylene.... Called TPOs

Thermoplasticolephins...

Nice to the touch for handles and knobs molded over polypropylene hard plastic... for structure...

PP became a strong competitor to ABS... it couldn’t get the mirror smooth finish... but, the lower cost made rough surfaces more like-able...  Impact strength was also pretty good...

So the interior panels like the Mooney has, were molded in PP, polypropylene...  the PP is highly engineered... compounded with anti UV, anti-flame, anti-oxidizers, and color matched to what the customer wanted... filled with talc, or glass for additional strength or cost lowering....

For a while PP was an injection molded material only... some brilliant chemist working with catalysts figured out how to tailor the molecular weight to get really good melt strength...  this is the important feature needed for extruding sheet and thermoforming...

The age of the big-gulp dawned... everyone was drinking 64oz sodas that were injection molded and printed using eight color dry-offset presses... then the extrudable, thermoformable PPs broke into the market and really lowered the price....

Really cool movie graphics printed on a drink cup went to 10color presses.  These presses were capable of printing individual cups at 600 cups per minute... 10 per second.  Faster than the eye can see...

Fun stuff...

Soooo....

If you want a color that is different than white/beige... talk to the people at plane plastics about running some colored sheet through their thermoformers...

With the color mixed into the plastic... scratches don’t look terrible... if they are deep, they can be acceptably sanded away... a random rough molded surface is a wonderful thing...

All Plastics aren’t the terrible thing Greta Thunberg is harping about...

Another interesting detail... government program too...   all plastic parts of an automobile are marked with the material code they are made from... to aid in the recycling effort...

So if you have an automotive panel you like, and want to know the material... it is probably molded in the back side of the part... if it says PP on it... and possibly a date code... you know what it is...

PP thoughts only, poly propylene.... thoughts only... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I had to run out to the plane anyway, so I took a couple of pictures. Let us know what you did to refurbish your plastic and how it worked out.
IMG_3368.thumb.JPG.6a3faccfc989394442db8db9afe77e7b.JPG
IMG_3370.thumb.JPG.10f6a5bb51b3b81a5f2a22eb7ca36816.JPG

Thanks for the photos, exactly what I needed. I used the plastic repair kit from plane plastics to fix the cracks, and SEM paint to freshen things up. Will get some pics when the placards are in.

• Thanks 1