Gmu11 for primary?

Browncbr1

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you look at this AC, you can make a good case that the G5 meets the regs.

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac 23.1311-1c.pdf

The magnetic compass is on the TCDS, so replacing it will require a 337 listing the above AC and the G5 STC as approved data.

I would send this all to your local FSDO for their opinion. I was just at the FSDO the other day to get my IA endorsement (I did) I got the impression that they really are there to help you.

First, congrats on the IA!   Have I ever mentioned how much I admire and respect you?  ;) 

Second, I get the impression that the Scottsdale FSDO has had a bad rep in certain circles, but I've been in several wings meetings where some of the local staff spoke extensively and very informatively, and some have been at our school as well for various reasons, like the IA seminar.   My impression has been as you said, they've all been very helpful and informative and engaging.   I wouldn't hesitate to ask about such things, once you get over the availability/accessibility hurdle.  

Thanks Eric..... (I’m just seeing the light now...)

Ohhhh....!

Understatement of the year....?  :)

Slipped it in, at the end of a post...

See if I understand this correctly...?

Rich just got his IA!?!?!!!!

Congrats buddy!

Time to update the signature line... your running out of space.

:)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

First, congrats on the IA!   Have I ever mentioned how much I admire and respect you?  ;) 

Second, I get the impression that the Scottsdale FSDO has had a bad rep in certain circles, but I've been in several wings meetings where some of the local staff spoke extensively and very informatively, and some have been at our school as well for various reasons, like the IA seminar.   My impression has been as you said, they've all been very helpful and informative and engaging.   I wouldn't hesitate to ask about such things, once you get over the availability/accessibility hurdle.  

Thanks for the kind words.

I asked them about putting the Mooney on a progressive maintenance plan. It would reduce the burden on me when annual time comes around and would keep me perpetually current on my IA. He thought it was a great idea. I asked how long it would take. He said it is hard to tell. That stuff is given to maintenance inspectors on a rotating basis and it wouldn’t be high priority, but it would probably be approved in 30 to 45 days at today’s pace.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Thanks Eric..... (I’m just seeing the light now...)

Ohhhh....!

Understatement of the year....?  :)

Slipped it in, at the end of a post...

See if I understand this correctly...?

Rich just got his IA!?!?!!!!

Congrats buddy!

Time to update the signature line... your running out of space.

:)

Best regards,

-a-

I don’t have it yet, I have the endorsement to take the test. I getting 90+ on my practice tests, so I think I’m good to go.

Ill let you know next Thursday...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

As I understand it the GMU 11 does not get power from the backup battery so if you lose power you lose heading

Not sure if this is certified, but if it is it would solve the problem:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/tcwbackup11-12650-3.php

24 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Not sure if this is certified, but if it is it would solve the problem:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/tcwbackup11-12650-3.php

Is that really necessary? You still get GPS calculated heading from the G5, and you'd have lost your nav and gps radios, so would that really help a whole lot?

11 minutes ago, salty said:

Is that really necessary? You still get GPS calculated heading from the G5, and you'd have lost your nav and gps radios, so would that really help a whole lot?

I think it would be if you wanted to get rid of your whiskey compass.

The regs specifically say you need a magnetic direction indicator. It would be a hard sell to say the heading from your GPS is the same as a compass. 

Do you know that a G5 still gives a heading after it lost its GPS and magnetometer source? 

Does your G5 have an external antenna? If I recall you can’t use the internal GPS unless you have an external antenna. 

Remember, we are talking regulations, not the capabilities of the equipment or what actually gets you home in an emergency.

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I think it would be if you wanted to get rid of your whiskey compass.

The regs specifically say you need a magnetic direction indicator. It would be a hard sell to say the heading from your GPS is the same as a compass. 

Do you know that a G5 still gives a heading after it lost its GPS and magnetometer source? 

Does your G5 have an external antenna? If I recall you can’t use the internal GPS unless you have an external antenna. 

Remember, we are talking regulations, not the capabilities of the equipment or what actually gets you home in an emergency.

IMO, even with that battery, you can't remove the compass.

27 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Without the GMU-11 or a connection to a GDU there is no heading.  With a power failure, there is no power to the GMU-11 and most likely none to the GDU so no heading.

Just now, 201Mooniac said:

Without the GMU-11 or a connection to a GDU there is no heading.  With a power failure, there is no power to the GMU-11 and most likely none to the GDU so no heading.

G5 will show calculated heading if you have an antenna hooked up, and I'm told, but have not personally confirmed that it's certification included proving that it will continue to show calculated heading within tolerance for 2 hours after GPS is lost using AHRS.

44 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Congrats on getting your IA!!! I thought it was the hardest one of all to get :) 

Thanks, its not so much about fixing airplanes, but about looking up minutia in TCDSs, ADs and regs! I can't believe how many questions there are about when they changed the height of the N numbers and when they required shoulder harnesses. Good stuff to know if you are trying to get an airplane certified.

22 minutes ago, salty said:

G5 will show calculated heading if you have an antenna hooked up, and I'm told, but have not personally confirmed that it's certification included proving that it will continue to show calculated heading within tolerance for 2 hours after GPS is lost using AHRS.

Calculated heading is a misnomer. The G5 will display magnetic heading with a GMU-11 connected and separately GPS Ground Track TRK from either the internal GPS or from a connected WAAS GPS (e.g., GNS-xxxW, GTNxxx etc). If a external WAAS GPS is connected, the internal GPS is disabled. If there is no external WAAS GPS connected, then of course the internal GPS needs an external GPS antenna to provide GPS TRK and reliance on the internal GPS should ensure you continue to get ground track while on battery power (although I could not confirm that in the install manual it sure looks like it). However if you're getting GPS TRK data from an external GPS then you'll lose GPS TRK data with your GPS.  

2 hours ago, salty said:

You will get GPS ground track in that situation, not heading.