Fuel sender probe type

Can somebody please chime in on this:

does 1964 M20E use capacitive or resistive fuel sender units? Installing Electronics International MVP-50P and need to know how to hook up the probes, in installation manual it states to hook up their RFLM-4-12 module on RESISTIVE probes but NOT on capacitive ones. My understanding is you hook up capacitive probe directly to their engine data computer. Has online installed one before? We sorted out all other connections just stuck on fuel probes. Paragraph 2.16 of install manual. Thanks!

The sender the factory selected was produced originally for Chevy and GM pickup trucks,  pre-1946 (Delco) 0-30 Ohm resistive type.   I bought one from a classic auto parts store just to verify my suspicion, and it was exactly the same in every way.  The float lever is not the same, however. 

• Thanks 1

Did you go with the old float gages that are 50years old?

Did you go with new float gages from EI?

Did you want the best accuracy to go with your MVP display?

Want to ask Don, the panel King, about what he used in his Mooney with the MVP?

Consider for a moment... Cies fuel gages have the best accuracy when set-up properly... using frequency type instruments...

Using 50year old instruments would be bad...

using 50year old technology would not be as good...

Can you get the highest level of accuracy that is available for your plane...

Check EI’s MVP compatibility with Ceis fuel sensors...

Need an EI contact? We have one around here...

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Did you go with new float gages from EI?

Did you want the best accuracy to go with your MVP display?

Want to ask Don, the panel King, about what he used in his Mooney with the MVP?

Consider for a moment... Cies fuel gages have the best accuracy when set-up properly... using frequency type instruments...

Using 50year old instruments would be bad...

Can you get the highest level of accuracy that is available for your plane...

Check EI’s MVP compatibility with Ceis fuel sensors...

Need an EI contact? We have one around here...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you for your input! Floats were replaced about 12 years ago and currently function ‘accurately’. I did think about this prior but am not too crazy sinking another couple grand for floats to get super accurate readings. Reason one is I ALWAYS fly with full tanks and don’t fly more than 3 hours per leg leaving tons in reserve, no exception. Reason 2 is I know what my fuel burn is down to 10th of a gallon plus existing EI fuel totalizer is very accurate too, MVP-50 uses exact same fuel flow cube too so my dilemma is only to keep “factory-like” accuracy to keep it legal otherwise I’d have to keep the old school Mooney gauges just for fuel level which is dumb. $84 module seems the best solution to me just need to be sure it will work.

• Like 1

Spruce cuts a PO to CEIS directly. I am going through this process right now. I will give KUDOS to CEIS and Spruce. I have a G model and the parts manual states 4 fuel senders, the CEIS kit states 4 fuel senders so. I placed the order with Spruce. After talking with the A&P and some visual inspection found only 2 senders total (one per tank). So I called CEIS and talked with Christine, she was very helpful and after some research we found that my G model with the 52 gallon tanks only has 2 senders. Luckily for me, CEIS hadn't built my senders yet and were able to build the correct ones. Christine stated she would call Spruce and modify the PO (no sense paying for 2 extra senders). I checked my orders on Spruce and looks like they made the adjustment.

Neal

On 1/26/2020 at 4:46 PM, carusoam said:

-a-  50-year old?   How about 75+ year-old?   Those resistance type senders were first made by the Dayton Electric Company (DELCO) for pre-1946 GMC and Chevrolet pickup trucks.   They are exactly the same as the ones installed in our Mooneys from the factory.   I've still got them, and calibrated, they agree with the sight gauges that a prior owner installed in the tanks in my C within less than 1 gal.   The sight gauges run out of gas (hehe) with about 3 gallons left.   The floats on the senders bottom out with about 0.5 gal useable left on each side.  Given the choice of CIES or eyeball gauges, I'd go with eyeball gauges and keep the resistors.   My 2-cents worth, PPSEL only.  Not an expert.

• Like 2