Leaking oil pan IO360 Lyc

ltdoyle

I have just under 100 SMOH on a Lycoming IO-360 installed in my J. The other day I went out and found a puddle of oil that had dripped down on the nose tire.  After cleaning the engine and flying, I looked it over.  What I discovered is a small oil puddle on the oil pan, directly above the intake tube.  I would wipe it off, then watch it reform.  Apparently there is a pin hole or very small crack at that location.  Has any had this issue before and how was it corrected?  

IMG_20200124_143837.jpg

It is painted, overhaul was done by Jewell last April.  I don't think it is patched, but maybe got thinned during inspection, bead blasting?  I am thinking about draining the oil and cleaning it real good and trying a little JB Weld hi heat. If that did not work, then remove the pan and send it to someone like divco.

Edited by ltdoyle
Spelling

13 minutes ago, ltdoyle said:

I was really happy with the oh done by Jewel, I think this is just one f those things that happens.

Great to hear.  I only have around 1400 hours on my engine but when the time comes Jewell will probably be my choice.

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

I can’t believe that’s certified technique, especially adding in hose clamps because they know the glue eventually will fail.

Tom

That’s the way every standby vacuum fitting is done in my experience, other than engines with an intake coupling hose.  On those, a clean hole is cut through the rubber and is aligned with the gap between the intake tube and the stub in the oil sump.  The nipple on the saddle fitting enters the hole and is held on with hose clamps.

Clarence

That’s the way every standby vacuum fitting is done in my experience, other than engines with an intake coupling hose.  On those, a clean hole is cut through the rubber and is aligned with the gap between the intake tube and the stub in the oil sump.  The nipple on the saddle fitting enters the hole and is held on with hose clamps.
Clarence

Why not have a tee fitting?

Tom

19 hours ago, ltdoyle said:

It is painted, overhaul was done by Jewell last April.  I don't think it is patched, but maybe got thinned during inspection, bead blasting?  I am thinking about draining the oil and cleaning it real good and trying a little JB Weld hi heat. If that did not work, then remove the pan and send it to someone like divco.

Looks like it is in the area of a weld or mold mark...

Good that you have clear pics...

Send the pic to Jewell and see what they say...

Divco is probably a great resource as well... especially on how to fix it properly...

The problem with a leak at the bottom of the oil pan... how far down is it?

If the method of fixing it doesn’t hold... will you run out of oil?

How easy is an oil pan replacement? A few AMUs?

Best regards,

-a-